George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Just replaced my filter and attached plumbing which fixed a leak on the suction side. Now I am noticed that when I turn on my pump after being off for awhile I get a large amount of air coming out of my returns. I also notice that my SWG cell is drained of water and it takes a couple of minutes for water to flow through it. While I can not see inside my filter tank I believe part of it is draining as well when pump is off. Trying to figure out why this is happening. I see occasional drips coming out of my 3 way valve on the return side. See attached pictures. Advice on how to troubleshoot and fix this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20210417_002549516.jpg
    PXL_20210417_002549516.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210417_003246416.jpg
    PXL_20210417_003246416.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210417_003242841.jpg
    PXL_20210417_003242841.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 12
The same holes that drip when the pump is running will suck air back in when the pump turns off. Fix any points that drip.

A perfect system will hold pressurization when the pump is off. Any hole that leaks let’s air in and pressurization is lost and the water flows out.

So I fixed the drip by taking apart the three way valve, cleaning inside, lubing the gasket and reinstalling the valve into the plumbing. I am still losing water albeit it much more slowly than before. What process should I use to locate an air leak on the return lines?

If the cell is staying half full I would not worry about it.

If you had any serious leak the water would totally drain.

That amount of water says the pipe is holding pressurization.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I am too much of a perfectionist at times. Anyway I will not worry about this as long as it does not totally drain down.

Thanks a lot for your advice!!

yep, all pool plumbing will drain a bit when the pump is off. Leaking back into the pool isn’t a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.