Return Ports

BobMiller

Oct 21, 2019
Sonoma, CA
Hello Everyone!
I'm new to the forum and I certainly would appreciate some helpful advise.
I live in Santa Rosa, CA and I have a 40+ year old in-ground concrete pool that has a plaster finish. It also has copper plumbing for the return lines and it is leaking. I had a leak detection company find the source of the leak but I am very reluctant to have the line repaired. The return line that feeds the two return ports is located under a concrete walkway and plumbing this old will develop more leaks in the near future. I do not want to go through the hassle of digging up the entire line. The pool is dug into a hillside. On three sides of the pool is concrete walkway but on the downhill side is an attached wooden deck. After removing a couple of deck boards, I can see that the top two feet of the pool wall is exposed and easily accessible. My plan is to drill two holes in the wall and install new ports. I was surfing the web and came across the EZINLET system. This seems to be just the ticket ( small hole, compressed fitting). As a general contractor, I plan on doing the work myself.
Any experienced input, advise or precautions, again, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Bob

Well, the EAZINLET system looks like it would work, but I see no need to go to such ends just to install a couple of pool eyeball returns in your concrete wall. Just drill a 1.5 or 2" hole through the wall and use PVC pipe, wall fitting and eyeball. You'll have to seal the pipe and fitting but that's normal in any concrete pool.

Well, the EAZINLET system looks like it would work, but I see no need to go to such ends just to install a couple of pool eyeball returns in your concrete wall. Just drill a 1.5 or 2" hole through the wall and use PVC pipe, wall fitting and eyeball. You'll have to seal the pipe and fitting but that's normal in any concrete pool.
Thanks Keith,
Just a couple of more questions.
What sealer would you recommend to fill the gap between the pipe and the drilled hole and securely set the wall fitting and PVC pipe in the wall?
Also, any recommendation for how to split the 1.5" PVC return line in order to supply both ports equally?

I wouldn't worry too much about balancing the two returns - you can have quite a difference in pipe length before you feel a significant difference in pressure/flow*. In terms of sealing the holes in the pool wall, this is usually done when the pool is built with contact between the gunite/plaster and the PVC pipe. For a refit , I would imagine hydraulic cement would work, especially if you're plastering around the return, but I'll defer to the pool builders on this site.

* If you have water features (multiple waterfalls and water spouts), then equalizing pressure is extremely important. But for regular returns, you should have no problem.

I wouldn't worry too much about balancing the two returns - you can have quite a difference in pipe length before you feel a significant difference in pressure/flow*. In terms of sealing the holes in the pool wall, this is usually done when the pool is built with contact between the gunite/plaster and the PVC pipe. For a refit , I would imagine hydraulic cement would work, especially if you're plastering around the return, but I'll defer to the pool builders on this site.

* If you have water features (multiple waterfalls and water spouts), then equalizing pressure is extremely important. But for regular returns, you should have no problem.
Thanks again Keith!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.