Return line replacement problems

May 8, 2017
Upstate NY
Replaced the return line with 2" flex, and have some questions and concerns:

1. Will only running a return in the deep end (bypassing shallow) cause issues? To reach the shallow return it would require boaring through the wall.

2. The new line was plumbed to the original pipe that comes through the wall. In order to make the connection there are two 90 elbows within a foot of another. Cons?

3. The new line is sitting in a trench, when the pump reprimes the pipe moves up and down. Is this normal without backfill?

4. What to backfill with? Original material was clay. After sitting out and melting with the rain there is quite a few rocks on top of the mounds...

Welcome to the forum.

A return near the surface is needed to assist in skimming floating debris. Not sure what type or design of pool you have (please see Getting Started - Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post).

Normally pool lines are pvc. Your flex is also used but I have read issues of it moving like you say and wearing a hole in it. I would think you would want to have a sand bed and fill around it rather than rocks.

The elbows should be OK as you are not talking that high a flowrate through the piping. Of course, again, I have no idea what design or type of pool this is.

Take care.

So I assume you have a skimmer. So - if you do not have a return near the surface, the skimmer will struggle to collect the floating debris.

The elbows will be OK as this is not a spa that uses high flowrates and you say our psi at the filter is low.

Take care.

Yes there is a skimmer in the shallow end.

There is an original return outlet in the shallow I would prefer connecting the new line to. However unlike the deep end return the shallow end return plumbing must be embedded in the wall.

To re plumb that return the only option would be to core drill through the existing return? Still not sure if it's best to leave alone or figure a way to re plumb. I do already have the concrete deck cut out, just no access to the return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.