Retro fit for 1/2" black poly returns?

TomR

Aug 22, 2018
Marietta/Georgia
Hey guys, I'm working on a reno on my 1964 gunite pool. It was originally built as a heated pool and the builder plumbed twenty (20) returns around the pool. Fourteen (14) returns are around the perimeter of the pool and six (6) returns are in the floor of the pool. I have pressure tested my lines and everything is working; however, the return fittings are all worn out and broken with no way to divert the flow or close off the flow so I want to replace them all. All of the twenty (20) returns were plumbed with 1/2" (yes, half inch) black poly pipe. Without having to repipe the whole pool I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with retrofitting any type of return fitting to the 1/2" black poly? I bought a Pentair 1" Insider Eyeball Fitting 542000 which is designed to slip fit inside a 1" pipe and it actually slip fits outside the 1/2" poly but I don't want to run into a situation in a few years where I might have to bust up around the fittings to replace them if I have to. I'd rather find someway to retro fit a 1 1/2" eyeball return to the 1/2" poly. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Are the skimmers not working the way you want them to without the fittings?

I don't think you would be successful modifying 1 1/2" to a 1/2" without the fitting sticking out by quite a bit. If you really need to redirect flow you might think about modifying a landscaping fitting such as this:

LASCO 1 1/4 In. PVC Poly Insert 90 Degree Barb X Barb Elbow 1406012RMC | eBay

It might work better.

Thanks for the reply. My issue is more of an aesthetic one. It's obvious that back in the 60's there were white goods designed to fit 1/2" plumbing. The original returns had a center screw hole which had some type of twist restrictor but now they are all missing and they look old and busted up. When all 20 returns are open the flow is diminished. I have found that by inserting rubber plugs in some returns I can increase flow. I'm really curious if anyone with a 60s pool has ever found new old stock fittings for 1/2" plumbing. There have to be 100s if not 1000s of pools built in the 60s which have to have some similar plumbing issues?!

I've spent a lot of time at Home Depot and Lowe's trying to figure out a way to convert something like this Hayward down to fit the 1/2" poly pipe. My thought would be to find some PVC pipe with a diameter that would fit on the outside of the 1/2" poly then find another larger PVC pipe to fit onto the first piece and keep building it up until it would slip fit onto the new fitting. Cut each of the pieces of PVC about 1" long, fit them inside each other and glue them up. I just can't seem to find PVC in sizes which could be retro fitted to the 1/2" poly. Another idea for white goods manufacturers... make a retro kit with different slip bushings to build up the size of the original pipe to fit current white goods.

1550194239944.png

Last edited:
If you can CAD draw what you need there are services that can 3D print it. It may take some single prototypes and iterations before you get it right and do a 20 piece run. Or find a design student locally to do the CAD drawing.

3D Printing Service | Shapeways

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.