Resurfacing with possible Addition....??

Capt Kyle

May 30, 2021
St Pete, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP, we are scheduled to start our pool resurfacing mid June. We will install new waterline tile and resurface with the product PMM Marquis Bluestone. Over MDW we visited some friends new build pool, which has a lovely sun shelf and bench feature down the side of the pool.

Now the wife wants this added to the project, if possible. I know we will have to talk with our contractor first, but does anyone have any experience installing a sun shelf or bench during a resurfacing?

I’ve done some reading and found that these types of additions to an older pool can cause issues down the line with shifting and cracking the surface. Does this sound accurate?

Anyone recommend getting these additions done during our resurfacing if contractor permits? Or should we just go for the resurface and remodel down the road?

Also, any grips or complaints with PMM Marquis? Seems like most people are happy with their product and longevity as long as pool is maintained.

Attachments

• E645AAE3-C5BB-41E1-98BD-8D04E13787B4.jpeg
    E645AAE3-C5BB-41E1-98BD-8D04E13787B4.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 30
Pool renovations add benches and shelves all the time. You need to interview several builders and ask how they would tie the new structure into the pool. They should be framing with rebar and drilling into the shell to set the rebar in place with hydrolic cement. You want the rebar several inches deep into the shell, not 1 or 2". If the build is unsure about doing it then give them a pass. If you find an experienced builder who has done this type of work ask if they have references that are willing to share their thoughts on how the remodel went. A lack of references is not an automatic red flag since a lot of people don't want to talk with strangers, but its nice to have if you can get them.

Reactions: Capt Kyle
Pool renovations add benches and shelves all the time. You need to interview several builders and ask how they would tie the new structure into the pool. They should be framing with rebar and drilling into the shell to set the rebar in place with hydrolic cement. You want the rebar several inches deep into the shell, not 1 or 2". If the build is unsure about doing it then give them a pass. If you find an experienced builder who has done this type of work ask if they have references that are willing to share their thoughts on how the remodel went. A lack of references is not an automatic red flag since a lot of people don't want to talk with strangers, but its nice to have if you can get them.
Here is how they did mine & "pinned" it into current shell2BD87CED-DF0B-4854-84D3-F01F9CDB71D4.jpegA8EBD65D-AC8F-4E46-8B77-FE875AB28EE5.jpeg

Reactions: Jgc88
Well, pool builder recommended, not going to be worth the money in his opinion, with loss of swim area, minimum cost of Cement truck and other possible issues/costs. He said if it was a new build, then it would be worth it.

Took his advice, we are just going with resurfacing and new waterline tile for now. He recommended investing in another area of our pool deck/yard.

Posting a new post about extending our deck/modifying our screen enclosure. Thanks for everyone’s input.

I had a deep end bench added, an old spa converted to a ledge, and a smaller bench added in front of it. Unfortunately, I still don’t have water yet, so no idea if it’s going to work out! But it is doable.

Reactions: Capt Kyle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.