Results after First SLAM

Aug 14, 2018
Birmingham, AL
I just completed my first SLAM, which actually took a couple of weeks after not fully understanding the proper way to perform after beginning. I can now see the bottom of my pool for the first time in 3 weeks. I can't thank everyone enough for the help through this process. Since I have taken over my pool care, with the help of those on this forum, I have successfully replaced my pool motor, pool pump and turned my pool from green to clear.
I tested my pool levels this morning and the results are below. My question is where do I go from here in order to maintain a clear pool? For Chlorine, should I keep buying 6% bleach (Clorox) or move to some of the powdered products sold by pool stores and big box stores. I have a floating Chlorine tablet dispenser in the pool as well and my wife has been buying the 3" tablets and keeping it full.
Unless anyone tells me otherwise, I am guessing that I need to keep testing once each week to maintain proper levels according to the ABC's off pool water chemistry and PoolMath, but since I am so green, I still need the advice of others. Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you for the help so far!

CL: 5
BR: 5
pH: 7.5
FC: 7ppm
CC: .5ppm
CA: 225ppm
TA: 80ppm

Thanks!

Good to hear you have success.

What is your CYA? The pucks in the floater are adding it. You most likely should stop using them.

Your CH is a touch low for a gunite pool so you could use cal hypo for awhile. But stop when your CH hits 300 ppm. Do NOT use Dichlor.

Be careful using Clorox brand products. I believe they nearly all have additives (Cloromax). Use plain bleach or liquid chlorine.

Thanks Mknauss. My CYA is 30....should I adjust? I will stop using the pucks....thanks for letting me know. I am not familiar with cal hypo. I am assuming that using it as a chlorine additive it will raise my CH at the same time? I was on the poolmath app and input value for CH and the choices the app gave me to raise CH were Calcium Chloride or Calcium Chloride Dihydrate.....suggested I add 13 lbs of Calcium Chloride after inputting a current CH of 225 and I chose a target (threw dart at board) of 270. With a target CH of 300, the app suggests an addition of 21 lbs of Calcium Chloride.
I was buying Clorox at our local Sam's Wholesale due to cost...I was unaware of the additive. When you referenced "plain bleach," would that be any generic bleach?
Thanks for your help. There's a lot to learn...not only what to add, but how much and how to add.....it's a bit overwhelming and the advice is appreciated!

A CYA of 30 is ok right now. If you want you can keep using the pucks but watch your CYA as 40 is about as high as you want to go.

The cal hypo is also called 'shock'. You can sometimes get it in buckets. Or just get calcium chloride.

- - - Updated - - -

Plain bleach has no additives. Sometimes called cleaning bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.