Restore foreclosed pool to service

Apr 17, 2017
Cincinnati, Oh
Hello,
I purchased a foreclosed home that has an indoor inground 28' long x 8' wide x 6-8' deep concrete pool in it. The pool is equipped with two Pentair Challenger pool pumps which push current against you as well as a Hayward 1.5 HP standard pool pump. It has a sand filter as well as a natural gas water heater. The pool has been empty since day 1 (roughly 3 years ago) so there are no test readings to print out here. I believe the pool was installed with the original build of the home which would have been 1994 (23 years old).

That being said, I was trying to size up what all needs to be done to get the pool back in working function.

From what I can tell the pool is a concrete shell that has a plaster layer over top of it as and the a blue paint on it. From what I have gathered reading this forum, as well as other sites, I need to ultimately determine what kind of paint is on the pool if I am able to just repaint this pool. I was speaking with another pool owner and he seemed to believe I would be able to pressure wash the pool, TSP the pool, muratic acid wash the pool, use hydraulic cement to patch any spider webbing cracks / chipped away areas, TSP again, and then paint. If the pool paint is epoxy, I can apply another epoxy coating once all the moisture is gone.

I've attached a few pictures of the pool in it's current state to see if it may give anyone an idea of what I am facing. I believe my best bet at this point is to get a sample of the paint that's 1 inch by 1 inch and send it to Olympus so they can determine the paint type for sure? I've read you can use various solvents to determine your paint type, but heard that it is not always fool proof.

Can anyone give me an idea of if this is a decent game plan or not? I'm really hoping the plaster is in good enough condition that it can be painted over and I do not need a replastering, but I'm still ignorant to pools for the most part. If it is just a cleaning, patch, and paint job I would love to do it myself.

Any thoughts or comments on my plan? Thanks in advance for the help. Also, if any other pictures would help do it justice just let me know and I can provide them.

Also a side note, I believe my primary pool pump may need it's seals replaced. I did a little pressure washing and attempted to use my primary pump to pump the water out to the sewer that I had rinsed the walls off with. I could not get this pump to prime and draw the water out. I was curious if my skimmer was letting it suck air, so I filled the skimmer line with water, put a plug in my skimmer, and shut the skimmer line valve off in the pump room. I used a drain king to pump water back into the pool from the incoming water line to the pump, and once it stopped bubbling for a few minutes and steadily pumped water into the pool through the main drain I figured the line was air free. From there I removed the drain king and used a hose to fill my basket to above the water pipe level. When I turned the pump on the water in the basket shot out the waste line however it never began pumping from the bottom of the pool. I'm guessing after that long of being idle and dry the seals in the pump could have dried out?

Thanks for reading and any help!
http://imgur.com/a/ZUNP4

S,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool restore questions... :shark:

I don't have much input to your questions, except that most people here do not like the idea of painting a pool.

Let's see what our members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.