Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Both pumps noted in the title are basically identical. But nothing sets the tone on a hot TX August day than to find low speed no longer works after running the pump on high for a while to do some cleaning and chemicals. High speed yes, low - dead. Bummer! :brickwall:

Fortunately I had ordered new capacitors (start & run) months ago preparing for such an event. I had some subtle signs of starting issues the past year or two, and my motor was made in 2014, so it's no surprise. After removing the rear motor and top hump covers, I replaced both caps and was back in business in a matter of minutes. Nice to have some extra parts available. Now, back to the water. :swim:

IMG_20201028_162212730_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So my question now is for @JamesW. A week after replacing both caps on my motor, the low speed stopped working again this evening. High works. Either I'm unlucky to get bad caps, or could it be a thermal switch issue in this motor? Is it worth trying to repair before scrapping the motor or pump? Motor about 7 years old.

Waterway Supreme Pump P/N: PS2200-6
Waterway Model No: PS-20-2N11CD
Century Motor C48AA70A79R

So first I thought it was the capacitors since the motor worked fine for a week after replacing them. But a week later totally dead. I ordered a replacement pump, but while waiting decided to tear apart this pump in preparation for replacing the motor and keeping it as a spare. So what did I find? A short on the wire seen below. What speed wire? .... low speed of course.

So I cleaned everything up, replaced the broken (short) wire, and did some pad maintenance while I was at it. We're bac in business baby!

Short, Low Speed.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.