Resolved. Gas Line question

Juliewkent1

Mar 19, 2022
Austin Texas
Hi! I am in Texas in a town that does not require inspections. The gas line is trenched 18 inches in most places except where it’s running up to the equipment. I pointed this out to our PM and he said they can’t trench any deeper there as the pool pipes run underneath there. Obviously this is not to any code. There “workaround” is to directly cover the gas (yellow pipes) and some of the electric (gray pipes) with 2 inches of concrete then cover with dirt then sod. I have been searching Texas Code to see if this is even a thing. My PM ensures me they spoke to inspectors and said this is the correct procedure for our issue. What are your thoughts?! Seems sketchy!

Seems reasonable to me. The reason for the depth is to prevent you from accidentally digging into and breaking the line. What they are proposing will protect the lines from that. You would probably be shocked to know that there are probably millions of gas/electric lines around the country that barely have a little dust covering them. I found 3-4 old power lines just like that when doing our project. Several were not even direct burial rated. People do things all the time that are just fine. 2" of concrete will definitely alert someone with a shovel. 18" wouldn't do anything for an excavator. If you don't need it inspected I would not make it harder than it needs to be. Your safety risk is low to non-existent.

Reactions: Juliewkent1
Assuming this is an appliance run, your pool heater, and not some new gas main, you won't find much info. The codes focus more on the standarized gas pluming for structures than provide good guidance on outside runs. Here, a gas company will run copper from tank to house just under the ground about 6". In some places, it can be exposed copper over many feet. Outside, you just don't want a piping system that can accidentally be cut by someone later, so either an exposed run out of the way, deep run, or cement case or other shielding over more shallow areas. City jurisdictions might provide better guidance, because their inspectors are involved to approve. Counties don't give much concern, and as long as it OK with you and your gas supplier, it's settled matter. I wouldn't sweat it. It's outside.

1210.1.1 Cover Requirements

Underground piping systems shall be installed with a minimum of 12 inches (305 mm) of cover. The minimum cover shall be increased to 18 inches (457 mm) if external damage to the pipe or tubing from external forces is likely to result. Where a minimum of 12 inches (305 mm) of cover cannot be provided, the pipe shall be installed in conduit or bridged (shielded). [NFPA 54:7.1.2.1 — 7.1.2.1(B)]

The gas line is trenched 18 inches in most places except where it’s running up to the equipment. I pointed this out to our PM and he said they can’t trench any deeper there as the pool pipes run underneath there.
G2415.12 (404.12) Minimum Burial Depth

Underground piping systems shall be installed a minimum depth of 12 inches (305 mm) below grade, except as provided for in Section G2415.12.1.

G2415.12.1 (404.12.1) Individual Outdoor Appliances

Individual lines to outdoor lights, grills and other appliances shall be installed not less than 8 inches (203 mm) below finished grade, provided that such installation is approved and is installed in locations not susceptible to physical damage.

What is the actual depth of the trenches?

Seems reasonable to me. The reason for the depth is to prevent you from accidentally digging into and breaking the line. What they are proposing will protect the lines from that. You would probably be shocked to know that there are probably millions of gas/electric lines around the country that barely have a little dust covering them. I found 3-4 old power lines just like that when doing our project. Several were not even direct burial rated. People do things all the time that are just fine. 2" of concrete will definitely alert someone with a shovel. 18" wouldn't do anything for an excavator. If you don't need it inspected I would not make it harder than it needs to be. Your safety risk is low to non-existent.
Thank you!

These yellow color coded pipes are designed exclusively to sleeve over gas pipes and help in eliminating damage to gas lines during construction and excavation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.