residual pool water a mess after hard winter

Thanks, I added half that amount, as you recommended. I had just been putting in the dimensions of my pool in the pool calculator, didn't even think about actual depth. I actually haven't hooked up my SWG to the mix yet, waiting to get the water fixed. Appreciate your help!

uzenski,

I'm really sorry I messed you up on that borax dosage. It has no long term affect but it wasted your time and confused things further. PaulR has got you on the right track so I'd better be silent for a bit unless I mess you up again....my apologies. :oops: :oops:

Now with a more accurate pool volume, and knowing how to play with the calculator, you should be able to get the water parameters straightened out.

Do figure out your total borax additions, and use the Effects of Adding Chemicals section to figure out your borates ppm and plug that in to the calculator; it does affect pH-related calculations. That second round (3lb) was worth 10ppm by itself, which is why I was guessing 15 but it might be higher.

If something else unexpected happens, don't hesitate to post here and there will be somebody to help out or reassure you. (I'll keep an eye out for this thread but I'm not on every day.)
--paulr

P.S. Dave, it's not like I don't have my own list of boners to live down...

Sorry for the delay, I had to work today and just got time to test the water. So here are today's numbers ( I am still in the process of shocking the pool):

FC 6.5
CC 2
TA 50
Ph7.8
CYA 0 (dissolved it in the sock yesterday in the return jet)

How do I account for the zero CYA when using the chlorine/cya chart to shock the pool? Do I seem to be on the right track? Appreciate all of the help!

24 hours after you added CYA, start assuming that it has all dissolved. It won't have actually all dissolved, but enough of it will that you can pretend that it has for a couple of days till you get a new CYA reading.

Well after an entire week of shocking and adding various chemicals (BBB) I can now see the bottom of my pool!! It's still a faint bit cloudy but way better than it was (I've also been scrubbing and vacuuming several times a day). Wanted to post my numbers and see where to head next:

FC 11 (shocked last night one last time)
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 20
CYA 30

I know I need to raise the CYA still, so will buy more today. Do I need to worry about the CH number since my pool is vinyl liner? Also, does it seem balanced enough to add my SWG now, or should I wait until the water is completely clear (no cloudiness?). Thanks so much for your time and help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.