SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I currently have a 1 HP Hayward Superpump (model SP2607X10) with a single speed motor (1hp, SF 1.1).

The original motor lasted 9 years (replaced June 2013). Next year will be 9 years on the current motor, so I figured I would learn about replacement options ahead of time so when it comes time for motor replacement again I‘m not scrambling trying to figure out the best option. Hopefully, the current motor will last longer, but you never know.

I’m considering upgrading from a single speed motor to a variable speed motor. Part of what’s confusing is if changing the motor would also require changing other pump parts such as the impeller.

INYO Pools shows this variable motor as a replacement for my Superpump motor.

Since it is rated up to 1.65HP, would I need to change my impeller to this 1.5HP Superpump impeller?

Looking at the parts list for my Superpump, it appears the included impeller is rate 1HP. This would be too small, correct? The diffuser and seal plate look to be rated for 1/2 thru 2HP, so they should be ok, correct?

Are there other considerations I need to keep in mind when going with a higher HP motor, such as plumbing size, filter size, etc?

Am I on the right track? Anything else I should know? Advice most welcome!

Last edited:
You are all over it... I just did exactly what you are thinking about...

You can leave it exactly like it is and it will be fine, the motor will run a little more rpm because of the 1hp impeller... To save even more money on power and to move more water you can upgrade the impeller to the 1.5/2 hp model and be good to go, that is exactly what I did and will be changing it out this weekend...

I would recommend the pump rebuild kit and I even got the saltwater seal as it is upgraded and better.. I also had to get a bigger diffuser for mine but looks like your is good...

I will say you may want to do all this when you close the pool this winter as it will be easy and just fire up the new pump and motor in the spring.. :)

You are all over it... I just did exactly what you are thinking about...

You can leave it exactly like it is and it will be fine, the motor will run a little more rpm because of the 1hp impeller... To save even more money on power and to move more water you can upgrade the impeller to the 1.5/2 hp model and be good to go, that is exactly what I did and will be changing it out this weekend...

I would recommend the pump rebuild kit and I even got the saltwater seal as it is upgraded and better.. I also had to get a bigger diffuser for mine but looks like your is good...

I will say you may want to do all this when you close the pool this winter as it will be easy and just fire up the new pump and motor in the spring.. :)

Thanks. 🙂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.