Norfolk, NE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
When our pool was installed in 2016 it had a toilet lever auto filler. Three months after moving in there was a leak under the concrete in the filler pipe so the pool installer replaced it with a smartmiser wireless system (SmartMiser). It never really worked - probably because theres a partially obstructed 60 ft from the equipment pad to the skimmer.

I've since fired the installer/maintenance company.

Regardless, I'm not a big fan of the auto fillers anymore so I removed the electronic portion of the system on opening this year.

However, the Rainbird valve is still plumbed in with the water inlet capped.

Is there a way to get that valve on an egg timer that I can run for a present amount of time when the water is low?

I'm sure I can get it on a sprinkler timer but with the autocover on we don't have consistent loss.

That being said, if a rainbird controller is the easiest way I'm up for that as well.

So you need a 24VAC transformer connected to your existing Rainbird valve. Connect the transformer to a timer connected to 120V. Sounds doable. Loads of timers to choose from. Just make sure what you hack together is waterproof and GFCI protected.

Reactions: Sfmark
So you need a 24VAC transformer connected to your existing Rainbird valve. Connect the transformer to a timer connected to 120V. Sounds doable. Loads of timers to choose from. Just make sure what you hack together is waterproof and GFCI protected.

I have zero experience with this so excuse the ignorance. But if the smartmiser unit has the transformer is there a way to manually control it?

The Smartmiser comes with a 24V transformer wall wart. Below is the diagram how it operates from http://s144276.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SmartmiserBooklet-10-02.pdf

The receiver gets a signal from the skimmer and powers the spinkler valve until the transmitter stops sending when the water level is high enough. So you need to find a timer that will connect the 24V to the sprinkler for the duration you want.

Smartmiser.PNG

Connect the 24V wall wart to the valve and plug it into a timer like this...

Or find one you like better...

The Smartmiser comes with a 24V transformer wall wart. Below is the diagram how it operates from http://s144276.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SmartmiserBooklet-10-02.pdf

The receiver gets a signal from the skimmer and powers the spinkler valve until the transmitter stops sending when the water level is high enough. So you need to find a timer that will connect the 24V to the sprinkler for the duration you want.

View attachment 135817
Excellent. Thanks for that. Do you think there is a way to "hack" the receiver unit to a manual timer?
OMG....$300 and it doesn't work!??!

I am simple minded but.... can't one just look at a pool and see when the water is low? Does this do something I'm missing?
I agree. I've advised anyone installing a pool to take a pass. But since the valve is in place figured might try to use it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.