Silver Supporter
Feb 1, 2015
The Woodlands TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, everyone. I hope you all had a happy thanksgiving.

My water feature pump appears to have given up the ghost. It looks to be as old as the pool, 30 years, so it is probably worth replacing versus repairing. This pump runs 3 1 foot long waterfalls in the side wall of the pool. I have been researching what size and flow of pump to get, but every time I think I have an answer, I chicken out. I'd like to have a few brighter minds review my numbers.

As stated, there are 3 waterfalls one foot long each, for a total of 3 feet. They are about 1 foot above water level. The farthest waterfall is about 36 feet from the pump.

From various sources, I believe that I need 36 gpm of water flow (36 inches of waterfall x 1 gpm per inch), or 2160 gph. I have read that I need a pump that pushes 2 or 2.5 times this number for a medium sheet of water over the ledge. This equates to a 4320 to 5400 gph pump.

Does this math look right? What am I missing? I see various pumps listed as "pond water feature" pumps that are much less expensive than the name brand pool pumps. Will these get the job done, since I am only running a waterfall?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

If you have no automation and no plans for automation then get an inexpensive VS pump like the Calimar/Circupool/B&D which is the same pump made by Blue Torrent.

With a VS pump you don't have to worry about all the calculations. Just adjust the RPM to give the flow you want on your waterflall.

What was the make/model of your old pump? If it was a waterfall pump, you might be better off replacing it with another waterfall pump of similar head curve.

Also, I do have a new Pentair PSL4 that was installed a few weeks ago. It was the installer who informed me that the pump was out, even though it was getting power.

That picture is of the motor. What does the wet end look like? That is what determines the head curve of the pump.

That is actually an above ground pump but it is self-priming. It is a bit odd to use that for a water feature. Did it perform well? Did the waterfalls look right?

Also, what kind of water feature is it (e.g. sheer descent, scuppers, rock waterfall, etc)?

Sheer descents require about 1 GPM/inch or 36 GPM total. Your current pump might be able to support that along with the rest of the pool since you have automation. Do you want to use the waterfalls while using the spa? Do you use the Superflo for the spa or is there a separate pump for the spa? The Superflo is a bit small for a spa. How many jets does the spa have and are they strong? If the spa jets are weak, one option would be to use the Superflo for the waterfalls and a new larger VS pump for the pool and spa.

Last edited:
This pump was here when I purchased the house 8 years ago. Other than being very loud, it performed its job well enough. I have 3 sheer descent waterfalls built into the raised wall that you see in my profile pic. I would tend to agree that the spa jets are not that strong. There are 6 jets in the spa. The Superflo runs both the pool and spa, while the pump in the pic runs the waterfalls.

One issue that adding an Intelliflo would solve is that I would have multiple speeds again, though I have two unused relays that can be used to add speeds to the Superflo. The big question is whether I want to spend the money to really upgrade the system, or just make it adequate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the PSL4 can directly support the Intelliflo without relays (4 speeds) via a digital cable.

Reactions: RedScare
So, I ran my spa, and compared it to a neighbor's spa. The difference in water pressure from his spa jets versus mine is night and day. In fact, if you look at this pic of my spa, the jet in the upper left has so little pressure that you cannot see the bubbling. I think mas985's suggestion to get a bigger pump for pool and spa, and move the Superflo to the waterfall is on point. Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

Attachments

• Pump7.jpg
    Pump7.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: mas985
Just an FYI - I had a very similar waterfall setup with the 3 12" wide sills/openings and 2 bubblers on the tanning ledge. I had one pump for pool, spa, water features. The falls were pityful unless pump was on high and then it wasn't great , nor could I run spa and falls at the same time. I plumbed the water features out of the main pump. I bought a single speed pump (Texas). Generic pump (HappyBuy - Amazon) 2.5 HP single speed, 8800 GPH, 1850W, 120V for $120 ($130 w/tax). I added a DIY automation for about $6 and it made the wife so very very happy. It's been running just fine for about 6 months. Hope all worked out for you. I have a story on LED lights that's about as good as the pump.

Reactions: RedScare
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.