Replacing the sand in my filter, where to buy?

USBB

Nov 11, 2017
Greenville, SC
I want to replace the sand in my filter. Just purchased the house a couple of months ago. First time pool owner. I know you can deep clean the filter. I started to do that after I replaced the multi port that was duct taped and JB welded together.

I started to deep clean lean the filter. The most awful mess started coming out. My filter lives in a concrete well with a drain. So much gunk was coming out that it concerned me about clogging the drain. I would rather buy new sand than risk clogging the drain. The set up is what it is.

What kind of sand should I buy and where should I go to buy it?

EDIT I realize I just posted in the wrong forum. Anyway to move the thread to the right place?

https://flic.kr/p/24QU5Ey

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to replace the sand in my filter. Just purchased the house a couple of months ago. First time pool owner. I know you can deep clean the filter. I started to do that after I replaced the multi port that was duct taped and JB welded together.

I started to deep clean lean the filter. The most awful mess started coming out. My filter lives in a concrete well with a drain. So much gunk was coming out that it concerned me about clogging the drain. I would rather buy new sand than risk clogging the drain. The set up is what it is.

WOW, duct tape and jp weld. Smart to go ahead and replace that sand. That picture IS worth 1000 words! LOL!

Pool filter sand, is #20 silica sand. The sand should be packed and sold specifically as pool filter sand. You should be able to find it for $10-20 per 50lb bag.

To get the sand out of the filter open the bottom drain and let it drain for a day then use a shopvac to suck the sand out of the filter. Empty the shopvac often as it will get very heavy quickly.

Thanks for the advice on what to buy and where. I will drain and shop vac it.

As for a picture being worth a 1000 words, guess who is going to get to use a concrete saw and dig? I have a slow leak in the flex hose that is under the cement. That is a topic for another thread. One problem at a time is all I can handle. I have replaced all the parts on the pump and filter, as well as, learned to get my water balanced and stable thanks to this forum. I am so grateful for the help.

Oh, and once I get the leak fixed, I need to learn how to put on a new gel coat. It is badly stained which is why it has a green tint—I think. My chem levels are near perfect and I check every night at the same time and make adjustments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163238298@N08/shares/mw698J

Looks like iron staining try dissolving a vitamin C tablet on a stained area and see if it turns white.

Probably no need for new gel coat you can acid was with a "boat hull cleaner" and get really good results.

Fiberglass pools do not like to be empty tho so it's not a step to be taken lightly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.