East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a 20 year old 3000 sf gunite spa with its own plumbing next to my pool. The spa a 1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump powering the filter / pool heat / SWG. Filter is a Hayward C500 cartridge. Piping is 2" except for the in/out of the filter which is 1.5". The flow from the pump to spa is VERY strong and overkill, and I realize I should have bought a two speed pump last year and not a straight replacement when the pump died last year.

The spa also has 8 gunite jets fed by 2-2.0 HP Hayward Super Pumps, which are now leaking. I planned to replace the gaskets and shaft seal on the pumps and thought this would work, but as I removed the first pump, its seems to be pretty corroded and I have yet to get the back plate off (assume I'll figure that out tomorrow). But these pump motors will need replacement soon, if not now. Assume I am able to recover the wet parts of the pumps and only need a new motor.

Question - does it make more sense for me to simply replace the two 2 HP motors, or to try to downgrade the motors to 1.5 HP (and move the one year old 1.5 HP filter pump to the jets, replacing the filter with a two speed pump)? Can the existing non-motor parts of the 2 HP pumps (C48M2N111) take a 1.5 HP pump? And can the 1.5 HP power 4 spa jets (1.5 inch Hayward concrete inlets with Waterway gunite polyjets) or will I see a decline? I think the original builder overloaded the capacities of the pumps, but I really dont know how to check.

Thanks advance for your thoughts.

does it make more sense for me to simply replace the two 2 HP motors, or to try to downgrade the motors to 1.5 HP
Hurry - single speed motors are no longer being manufactured for pool pumps in the US at that HP rating. So you have to get them from what is in stock. Or change them to VS motors.

I just ordered two new 2-HP pump motors. Current ones still function but look rotted and ready to croak.

But I cannot get the back plate off my current pump to get the impeller and shaft. Any ideas? Screw completely fused.

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3731.jpeg
    IMG_3731.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.