Replacing single speed pump. What pump should I use?

May 27, 2018
Tampa, FL
Pump died, again (replaced the motor in 2018), so this time going to replace the whole pump instead of just the motor, as 2018 was the 2nd motor I've replaced on this pump.

With new regulations coming in July, glad to still have options now.

Options:
Variable Speed - pricey, and with my low electric costs, looking at 5 years to pay off the difference in price of single speed based on the manufacturer calculators, longer based on other calculators
2 Speed - I don't know much about these, should I consider one? if so, any model suggestions?
single speed - go with what I know? model suggestions?

Guy at the pool store said 1.5hp would cut it and I wouldn't notice the difference in the spa jets. Not so sure I believe him as he was pushing variable speed and said it would pay back in 2 years.

Live in Tampa, FL, where electric is $0.1191 kWh
Swim from April to Oct ish. sometimes throw the heater on earlier/later for weekends. Run pump for 3 hours in winter months.

Current set up:
9,753 Gallon pool
600 gallon spill over spa with 6 jets
2" plumbing
Jandy PlusHP, single speed 2HP pump
Nature2 Fusion Soft FSOFT1400 SWG
Jandy Cartridge filter CS200
Jandy Heatpump EE2500T

Pictures attached

Looking for recommendations. Leaning towards 2 speed if I can find one that works with this setup.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Attachments

• 20210529_131716.jpg
    20210529_131716.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210529_131641.jpg
    20210529_131641.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210529_131701.jpg
    20210529_131701.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210529_131635.jpg
    20210529_131635.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210529_131655.jpg
    20210529_131655.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210529_131648.jpg
    20210529_131648.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210529_131730.jpg
    20210529_131730.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 14
I am going to make your day :)

Go VS, 2.7 HP V green motor on your pump with a new rebuild kit and a salt or SCS seal so you do not get leaks to the motor.. This will give you almost the same power and a little more than you have now but you can turn it down.. It is cheaper than a new 1 speed or 2 speed pump.. :)

call Inyo and make sure the motor you need and the SCS seal..

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi Tom gamer! I live in Spring Hill and have a 10,000 gal pool/spa that's 30 years old. I DIY re-piped & replaced my 15 year old equipment two years ago as follows:

Sta Rite Intellipro VSF 3HP pump; Hayward Swim Clear C200S cartridge filter, SolarTouch controller with 12 roof collectors, CircuPool RJ30+ SWG.

First, I like my pump best of all because it is so quiet and saves energy. My old 1.5 HP one speed Hayward makes me really appreciate a variable speed/flow pump. The VSF pump will unlikely pay for itself in energy savings in Florida, but the quiet operation and flexibility of 8 speed programs, cool running, and, did I mention silent running, outweigh the initial price.

Oversizing my filter and SWG was another smart decision. Size matters. Plus, converting to salt has made my pool so easy to maintain that my neighbor handles all summer while we're away.

Feel free to private message me or ask questions. Presently, I'm in CT converting our 25 year old 15,000 gal summer pool to salt water and new gear.

Good decisions to you?

Attachments

• 20200601_115916.jpg
    20200601_115916.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 13
I am going to make your day :)

Go VS, 2.7 HP V green motor on your pump with a new rebuild kit and a salt or SCS seal so you do not get leaks to the motor.. This will give you almost the same power and a little more than you have now but you can turn it down.. It is cheaper than a new 1 speed or 2 speed pump.. :)

call Inyo and make sure the motor you need and the SCS seal..

Thanks. Very interesting. Do I need to put a different impeller or anything other than the SCS seal? Does this really give the same benefits as a variable speed pump?
Any one here on the forum try this?

Hi Tom gamer! I live in Spring Hill and have a 10,000 gal pool/spa that's 30 years old. I DIY re-piped & replaced my 15 year old equipment two years ago as follows:

Sta Rite Intellipro VSF 3HP pump; Hayward Swim Clear C200S cartridge filter, SolarTouch controller with 12 roof collectors, CircuPool RJ30+ SWG.

First, I like my pump best of all because it is so quiet and saves energy. My old 1.5 HP one speed Hayward makes me really appreciate a variable speed/flow pump. The VSF pump will unlikely pay for itself in energy savings in Florida, but the quiet operation and flexibility of 8 speed programs, cool running, and, did I mention silent running, outweigh the initial price.

Oversizing my filter and SWG was another smart decision. Size matters. Plus, converting to salt has made my pool so easy to maintain that my neighbor handles all summer while we're away.

Feel free to private message me or ask questions. Presently, I'm in CT converting our 25 year old 15,000 gal summer pool to salt water and new gear.

Good decisions to you?
Sounds like a good set up.

I just have a hard time justifying the cost difference on the VSF pumps. The payback is 10+ years for me vs if I were to buy a single speed pump. Pump is around the corner, so I don't really hear the pump, except when the motor is failing, as it is now.

A 2hp pump is about 2700 Watts. I expect you will be running less than 300 Watts with the VSP most of the time. I run mine at about 150 Watts for 15 hours per day, 65 Watts for 5 hours per day and about 750 Watts 4 hours per day. That is about 5 kWh per day, or about 50 cents per day, $15/mth.

I do not know how much you run your 2 hp pump, so judging the cost savings is hard! And I don't know the price difference of the pumps.

My original pump was a 1 hp (1776 Watts). I ran about 16 hours per day or about 28 kWh. I'm using about 1/6 the energy and running more! With a VSP, you can run 24 hours a day and reduce the setting on your SWG. I could run mine at as low a 65 Watts all day long, but the skimmers don't work that well. So I've upped it to 150 Watts.

My savings was about 8400 Watts per year. At $0.119/kWh the savings would be about $1000 per year.

How many hours per day do you run your pump? It costs you 32 cents per hour. The VSP again will be about 50 cents per day.

BTW, I pay $0.079/kWh...The jerks in TN, some pay $0.04/kWh...

Thanks. Very interesting. Do I need to put a different impeller or anything other than the SCS seal? Does this really give the same benefits as a variable speed pump?
Any one here on the forum try this?
I did it, Best thing in life and many more on the forum have changed to one of these motors.. .. I had a 1 hp pump and changed to a new impeller to take the 1.65 hp motor.. Worked great :)

A 2hp pump is about 2700 Watts. I expect you will be running less than 300 Watts with the VSP most of the time. I run mine at about 150 Watts for 15 hours per day, 65 Watts for 5 hours per day and about 750 Watts 4 hours per day. That is about 5 kWh per day, or about 50 cents per day, $15/mth.

I do not know how much you run your 2 hp pump, so judging the cost savings is hard! And I don't know the price difference of the pumps.

My original pump was a 1 hp (1776 Watts). I ran about 16 hours per day or about 28 kWh. I'm using about 1/6 the energy and running more! With a VSP, you can run 24 hours a day and reduce the setting on your SWG. I could run mine at as low a 65 Watts all day long, but the skimmers don't work that well. So I've upped it to 150 Watts.

My savings was about 8400 Watts per year. At $0.119/kWh the savings would be about $1000 per year.

How many hours per day do you run your pump? It costs you 32 cents per hour. The VSP again will be about 50 cents per day.

BTW, I pay $0.079/kWh...The jerks in TN, some pay $0.04/kWh...
Peak season I run about 7 hours a day. off season I run 3-4 hours a day. Only 10000 gallons, 6 hours gives me about 3x turnover, and my chlorine levels are right and keeps algae at bay. No way I would come close to $1000/year. If it was I would do it in a heartbeat. best I figure, I would save about $200-$300/year or 4-5 year payback on a pump that costs $1000 more than single speed. IF these pumps last longer, might be worth it. But they usually only have 1 year warranty, from what I can tell.

I installed one of these and am really happy with it. I paid under $650 for it, but prices have gone up w/ the shortage of equipment.

My electric company had a $400 rebate, which brought down the price to like $250. Someone else recently found it online for $615, whatever you decide to get make sure you call the distributor to ensure it's truly in stock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I called inyo and they hooked me up.. they will tell you if you need to change the impeller and what motor to get for your pump and the seals and rebuild kit... :)

I called inyo and they hooked me up.. they will tell you if you need to change the impeller and what motor to get for your pump and the seals and rebuild kit... :)

I don't have automation, and just have the old timer (see pics in original post). Do I just leave the whole system on all the time, and use the timers on the pump, and the SWG will only come on when it detects flow?

nope, the VS pump get hard wired with power 24/7 and then the timer gets used just for the SWG.. You would set the timer to go on 30 minutes or an hour after the pump is on and 30 minutes or an hour before the pump goes off.. If you run the pump 24/7 then you adjust the time the SWG comes on and off and your good :)

Reactions: tomgamer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.