replacing rope in Automatic Pool Cover

seanafrick

Jul 13, 2019
pittsburgh, pa
Going to try a DIY rope replacement for Save-T 2 automatic pool cover. The rope broke back by the spool. I'm buying a new glider to take the rope (since I don't have any confidence in sewing in a new one).
Here are new gliders I plan on purchasing:
Automatic Pool Cover Parts (and the corresponding right hand one)
They are an additional $100 each with the PowerFlex rope already attached. The rope seems incredibly overpriced.
I was thinking of using this rope and stringing myself. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

Thanks!

We had our ropes replaced last year under the recommendation of the tech as they come a long distance to service my pool. The guy said it wasn't really needed at that time but would probably be so in another year or two so in hopes of saving an expensive travel fee down the line...... The new rope supposedly has a metal core of some type?
I wasn't involved in the decision (Skippy got brave and made that one on his own! <hmmmmm?>) but that's what he said about it.

Do a search here using the search bar above and pick the "G" option. Others have done the repair and have written about it.

Maddie :flower:

I did some more research. This looks like exactly the kind of rope that was in my cover. Do I need to upgrade to a steel core?
It's about 1/3 the price of Coverpools rope.

Thanks all.

Your cover obviously has two ropes and replacing one rope with another "kind" of rope that stretches more (or less) will give you some serious headaches keeping the cover running straight. Also, whenever we replace ropes, we ALWAYS look for the root cause of what broke the rope in the first place. Just something to keep you thinking and there's nothing worse than replacing a rope for a customer and getting that call 3 days later that it broke again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.