Replacing pump

Thats what I was suggesting. In a previous post it was suggested to use the old wet end but the old wet end includes the old impeller and diffusor and those should not be reused. The only part that should be reused is the old pump housing.

Thanks to everyone. I'm going the pentair swapout. Hopefully, this will amount to just :

(1) removing 6 nuts.
(2) pull out old motor with old/impeller and old diffuser attached
(3) slide in new motor with new impeller and new diffuser into volute. I checked that part number are the same for the volute.
(4) put back 6 bolts. and change the wiring.
(5) throw some steak on the grill.

How should I decide what's the maximum speed to program this baby? Should I ramp it up and look at the pressure in the filter?

Now I'm thinking of what automation controller. I need to control poo/spa and heater. I have two valves. So suntouch is probably ideal. $$$ wise is excellent too. What if I add a solar heater in the future? Will suntouch not work anymore?

H2Ocare said:
How should I decide what's the maximum speed to program this baby? Should I ramp it up and look at the pressure in the filter?
As an upper limit, it will really be dicatated by the maximum flow rate spec of your filter but 15 PSI is probably safe. On the low end, I wouldn't go below 800 RPM because the Intelliflo energy factor starts to drop again.

Hi all,
I received the pump and had it installed yesterday evening. It took 2 hours. Everything was smooth as silk, except I cannot get the old electrical conduit fitting to come off the old pump motor so I have to run to HD for a new one. Then eveything went together. Pump primed and was up and running in no time. I set it to run 10hrs at 1500RPM. The PSI on the filter is about 5-6 PSI. I limit the max RPM to 2500 as at 3450 the PSI was over 20. At 1500RPM, the power draw is 340W. The old pump is draing 2000W at 3450RPM. This new pump is 3HP vs old 2HP. My pipes are 2.5" but reduced to 2" at the housing (legacy piping).
So how do I determine the GPM? As well, how do I figure out the head the pump is seeing?

thanks.

CS

What is the filter pressure at 2500 RPM?

How high is the pump relative to the water level?

How many suction pipes do you have from the pool to the pad?

What is the approximate length of the suction pipes?

The suction pipe diameter is 2.5" correct?

Mark,
Here's the reading I took:

RPM PSI
=======
1500 5
2000 7.5
2500 11
1200 2.5

The pump is about the same height as the pool.

The suction side is 2.5" diameter
The distance from the valves to the pump is 20 feet.
The distance from the skimmer to the valves is 25 feet
The distance from the spa to the valves is 30 feet
The distance from the pool drain to the valves is 45 feet.

thanks.

CS

H2Ocare said:
The distance from the valves to the pump is 20 feet.
I am not sure I understand that. Why is the pump so far from the valves?

Also, I take it that you have only 1 x 2.5" suction line to the pump?

Anyway based on this information, your flow rate should be about: RPM / 31

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.