Replacing pump (on a budget) basic questions

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I've got a 15k gallon in-ground pool, and I think my pump is dying. It's about 11 years old. My local pool repair person says that's about its life expectancy, and I'm noticing it's not doing a great job of pulling the water and keeping the pool clean, and I see air bubbles daily which I can't seem to fix. It's somewhat warped, and while it's not leaking, my local pool repair guy says it's going to be impossible to straighten out. So I'm assuming it's nearing the end of its life. If I'm mistaken (or if there are things I should check) please correct me. It's a Pentair WhisperFlo 177450, and as best I can tell, it's probably a 1.5HP single speed. I can post a photo tomorrow if it's helpful.

My local city is offering a $400 rebate for people who buy locally and install a variable speed pump. I went down to my local Leslie's (I know, I know, but they're the only local pool shop) and they have a Jacuzzi JVX160 (1.6HP, variable speed) on sale for $823, so after the rebate, that's a substantial discount. My handyman says it should be straightforward for him to install it (just PVC routing and power, right? The size and shape is roughly the same as my old one, so I'm assuming it's a minor install.)

Budget is an issue, so I'm trying to keep costs down. Anything else I should consider, any pitfalls to be aware of, any other places to go, anything else to consider, I'd be grateful for the advice. Or if I'm on the right track, I'd like to hear that too. :)

I've got one better than that :)

Change out your motor to a V Green VS motor for $430.... Get a new seal kit and as long as your pump impeller and diffuser are good you have a brand new VS pump... I changed mine out and love the V green, it works great...

Call Inyo and make sure you have the correct kit and flange for your motor

Get a salt or SCS rated seal kit :)

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Newdude
Thanks for the reply! Clever and tempting, but I'm not sure I'd qualify for the rebate if I only buy a motor and not the full pump. Plus I'm concerned that replacing only the motor might not fix the problem if the warping is in the impeller...sounds like a lot of work and I'd be taking a chance. I'm leaning towards just getting a whole new shebang...

Thanks for the reply! Clever and tempting, but I'm not sure I'd qualify for the rebate if I only buy a motor and not the full pump. Plus I'm concerned that replacing only the motor might not fix the problem if the warping is in the impeller...sounds like a lot of work and I'd be taking a chance. I'm leaning towards just getting a whole new shebang...
What do you mean by warped? Please make sure you post a photo showing this. I added a V-Green motor to my pump and it works great at a much cheaper cost as @cowboycasey indicates. But the pump end needs to be functioning. If the housing is warped it indicates the pump overheated by running with no flow. This can heat everything up and cause expensive to fix problems with your pump. Or it could just be a simple replace the impeller... need more info.

Chris

Reactions: ddas
I also got a $400 rebate from my power company for going with a VSP. Make sure you understand the requirements to qualify for the rebate. The pump usually must be on their list of approved pumps and also must be "professionally" installed. I was required to submit the receipt for the pump and installation on the company's letterhead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.