Replacing pump/motor - What to look for?

May 19, 2018
Saratoga Springs, NY
Last summer we bought a house with an above ground pool in upstate NY. The pump (STA-RITE ABG4E-2A4) was very loud (kept me awake the first couple of nights), not well protected from the elements, etc. I want to replace it. I'm just not sure what to look for, and I'm not 100% sure it was the appropriate pump for the filter (SPARCO SF.... 40? Not quite sure).

How should I choose a new pump? Motor HP? I see lots of motor/pump combinations, but are they ever sold separately?

Thanks

You could change the motor to a 2 speed, 1 HP motor. If you use a timer you may need to change that if you wish to set the timer for both high and low speed.

I would suggest calling Inyopools and discussing with them your setup and your desires and see what they recommend.

So... I contacted InyoPools and I'm now more confused than before. I used the chat a few times with different questions and ended up getting conflicting information from different agents. I was told at different times:

1. You don't want to go above a 1HP pump for any above ground pool (which conflicts with their pump sizing guide)
2. I should go with a new Pentair Dynamo 1-1/2 HP pump
3. The Pentair above would overwork my SD40 sand filter
4. The SD40 sand filter is too small for my 18' x 30' x 4' deep above ground pool and I should go with a new 1-1/2 pump and larger filter to go with it
5. (from another site) The SD40 is just fine for my pool and I should get a new 1 HP pump

I wouldn't mind having the larger capacity of a new larger pump and filter combo, but I don't want to spend more $$ for the up front cost and on operating costs of the larger motor if the SD40 with a 1 HP pump is the right size.... Confused......

Thanks! I should add that the reason I started this project is because the motor of the existing pump is old, had water getting into it, and the motor shaft is rusting and starting to flake apart. Other pool owners who heard it operate said it sounded like a motor that was about to fail.

1) Someone may have been confused about the question. You can use a pump that's higher than a 1HP on an above ground pool.
2) You can use a 1.5HP Pentair Dynamo pump.
3) Pentair packages the 1.5HP Dynamo with their SD40 sand filter. So those two items will work together. However, a 1HP is more ideal because of the lower flow rate and stress on the filter.
4) The SD40 can handle an 18'x33' above ground pool.
5) Again, the SD40 and a 1HP pump are sufficient. If it were my pool, I'd go with the SD60 and a 1.5HP 2-speed pump. This way you wouldn't have to clean the filter as often. You'd also take advantage of the energy efficiency of a dual speed pump.

One more question (I think):

In a 2-speed pump system, how do I calculate energy savings? For the Dynamo 340206 I am having trouble finding data for low speed operation. The current draw on low speed is a little more than 1/4 the draw on high speed, but I'm unsure how long I'd have to run on low speed to cycle all my water through.

A 2 speed pump, on low speed, will pump about 1/2 the flow rate, using about 1/4 the electricity versus on high speed.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water 'turnover', is a myth. Your water chemistry keeps the pool clean and clear, not the filter.

A two speed pump on low speed will use about 1/4th the energy as high speed. So you will save about 75% in energy costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.