Replacing pump, but new suction position is 1 inch lower than old one. What to do?

May 12, 2015
Dallas, Texas
My Hayward Super II motor died, and I decided to replace it with a new pump.

I cut the existing 2" pipes to position the new pump in place. The new pump uses unions.

The output lines up perfectly to the old position.

However, the input (suction) port seems to be one inch too low to align with existing pipe.

How should I proceed?
1. Do you raise the pump on a concrete tile so it aligns?
2. Do you tilt the pump slightly upwards?
3. Do you replumb the suction line so it angles lower? if so, how?

Any help is appreciated.

Easiest option would be to raise the pump up on concrete tiles of rubber mats
Or would have to see if a pair of 45deg fittings (or 22.5 if you can find them) would lower the pipe to align.

Don't tilt the pump.

Thanks. Attaching photo

I can try and find mats or tiles and see if that is the right fit. Mats may get grimy after rain so will try tiles first.

The new pump came with really nice unions. I'm worried that if I use tiles now- but ever want to align pipes- I'll need new unions. Is this right or can I still re-use them even after glued?

My newpool.jpg

Mats would need to be high density and pretty rigid. Would not think they would get grimy.

Not sure I understand your question about the unions. I would certainly use the unions. Not sure why if you used tiles you would later change to something else?

I guess I'm wondering if putting the pump on tiles is too much of a hack. it's ugly and vibration could make more noise.

If I were to do the proper way and angle the pipe down, where would you suggest I make the cuts and add the angle? Should I replace it from the existing elbow, or further up the line closer to the diverter port?

Hard to say ... you will have to play with the fittings to see what will line up.

You could move it way to the right, then have a 90 out of the valve to the right (sloped down a bit) and then another 90 to turn into the pump.
Then clean up some of the mess between the pump and filter.

It is usually best to plumb a pipe straight into your pump (no fittings...no bends) if possible and whose length is around 5x the diameter of the pipe. So you'd want ~10" of pipe for a 2", for example. The idea is to make it as easy as possible to get water into your pump with minimal restriction--for those 10". But if your pump never had any issues priming, that 45 you have there is probably okay.

There are many ways to raise your pump. Go wander around the orange or blue box and look at various plastic items that should spark some ideas. Some cut-up 2x4s could also work but eventually they will will rot (or paint them or use pressure treated for it to last longer).

If you cut off the existing 45, you should be able to use (2) 45s to go lower and straighten out the pump.

The first 45 would angle slightly down and the second 45 would go back to horizontal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.