Replacing pool pump

Jun 1, 2015
Jackson NJ
So I opened my pool on Friday and it looks like this (considering replacing my mesh to solid cover)
IMG_0019.jpg
Also my pool motor was humming and i tried to get the shaft spinning....found this:

IMG_0021.jpg

Tough winter in NJ. Needless to say my attempts to get the motor started was halted after I broke off a few corroded screws trying access the shaft.

Now after 6 years I manage to figure out what the previous owner did.\

Pool must have been built with a 1.5 HP Dual speed motor (found the extra wire) and there is a 1.5HP impeller and housing (see pic) Also he replaced the 1.5HP Hayward super pump with the 2.0HP motor.
IMG_0027.jpgIMG_0023.jpg

I ordered the Hayward 2.0 HP from amazon and it will be delivered tomorrow. I am not sure what to do. Should I send it back and get a legit 1.5HP motor? I only figured this all out after realizing my strainer basket/housing ports are 1.5 inch. and the 2.0HP Hayward pump comes with 2 inch ports. Any suggestions?

I haven't had any issues the past few years but I'm sure running a 2.0 HP motor coupled with a 1.5hp impeller may not be ideal.... please advise:

1. keep 2.0HP single speed and 2.0 impeller. redo pluming to use 2inch ports.
  2. Keep 2.0 single speed HP motor and use old 1.5 HP impeller/housing
  3. Return the 2.0HP single speed and get a dual speed 1.5 HP

Thanks in advance all...

Ravi

I really don’t know what I need....6 season pool owner. Learned a lot. Just trying to follow the installer recommended equipment.

Now there is a fourth and fifth option:

4. Replace with a 1hp motor?
5. Replace motor with an a/o smith or comparable motor and use same strainer basket?

There's a lot of confusion about the way manufacturers will label their motors. The motor in the picture is a 2:HP motor with a low service factor(1.1) considered a uprated motor. Where other motors will be 1.5HP with a higher service factor, but the total HP would be about the same. This is considered a full rated motor and either one can be used for this pump. But you cannot use a lower HP without changing the impeller for that HP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.