Replacing pool lights cabling

jake118822

Nov 14, 2023
Brisbane
Hi all,
I've recently moved into a new house with an in ground concrete pool that has faulty lights in the pool and spa area.
The transformers are completely exploded, the cabling to the spa is unusable but the cabling to the pool is 2 Ohms.
I want to replace all the cabling before fitting new lights. But the cabling has been installed with NO conduit, just surrounded by compacted dirt.
Does anyone know how to replace all this cabling without having to dig a brand new trench for it all?

Thanks in advance all
Jacob

It should all be 12V, and should be in conduits but I’m not sure if there is a code for that or if it’s just how they normally do it. If it’s not in conduits then your best bet would be re use the existing cables with new lights and transformers or drivers. Waterproof connections at the light end are pretty easy.

It should all be 12V, and should be in conduits but I’m not sure if there is a code for that or if it’s just how they normally do it. If it’s not in conduits then your best bet would be re use the existing cables with new lights and transformers or drivers. Waterproof connections at the light end are pretty easy.
All of the cabling is looking pretty burnt, however the pool light does give me pretty solid reading of 2 Ohms so should be ok to use at a push. Its the spa lighting that has readings jumping all over the place when checking the continuity and so is un usable. Which is why im thinking that if im going to try and replace one ot of cabling may as well replace both lots.
Just not sure how to go about it since the cowboy installers decided not to put it into conduit.

Also when in conduit you don't lose water via the light since the conduit ends higher the the pool and is sealed to the pool shell. You would need to disturb whatever seal is there keeping the water within the pool which would mean probably lowering the water below the light level for the work, repairing them and filling back the pool before the earth from the outside is put back to assure there isn't a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.