Replacing Pool Light gaskets - install dry or ?

CountryBumkin

Bronze Supporter
Jan 9, 2017
Orlando/FL
My replacement light bulbs have arrived for my old Pentair SAM Amerilite lights. I have new gaskets. One of the light leaked and was half full of pool water. I want to be sure it doesn't leak again.

I will install the new gasket around the lens dry, but should I put anything between the rubber gasket face and the metal lip of the light fixture (like a thin coating of pool o-ring lube or silicone) to help the gasket seal - or just install dry as the directions state?

Attachments

• Pool Light.JPG
    Pool Light.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 88
To update my post - I installed both SAM lights dry. With new Pentair gaskets. The lights where just sitting in the pool (not mounted in niche) to test bulbs. I pulled them out about two days later and both had a little water in them.

So this time I ran a bead of silicone around the housing where the gasket sits (as shown in photo). I hope this works. Putting it together dry with a new gasket didn't work. I tightened the spring clamp according to Pentair's direction.
Not much else one can do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.