Replacing old pool heater

May 9, 2016
Dallas, PA
Hi all. Looking for some help. My old Hayward H250 died last year and I bought a replacement. The newest version of the H250. The issue I have is that the new heater is smaller in physical size so the gas line is not lined up properly. Instead the old install where there was a straight 6" nipple into the heater, I will have to use a combination of nipples and elbows to bring the gas into the unit. The simple question is, is this ok/normal? Thanks all!

Should be fine. I had a similar situation installing a Hayward H400. I disassembled gas pipe to the point that I could put in a couple of new pre-threaded sections of pipe that lined up perfectly. If you're comfortable with piping it, it's not very difficult.

There shouldn't be that much difference in height where the gas comes into the new unit. The biggest difference is that the gas valve on the new unit is just inside the cabinet so you don't have any pipe inside the unit as compared to the old one.

There shouldn't be that much difference in height where the gas comes into the new unit. The biggest difference is that the gas valve on the new unit is just inside the cabinet so you don't have any pipe inside the unit as compared to the old one.

Thanks for the help. it is a few inches higher than the old one, which is just enough to not run a straight nipple like the original install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.