Replacing motor only, correct sizing, and upgrading to 2-speed

Jul 1, 2013
Cincinnati OH
My motor on my Hayward Super II Pump went out this week and I had bee researching and debating what type of pump to get cause it was clear mine was on it's last legs.

I've basically concluded at this point that the additional features and energy savings associated with a variable speed pump are not worth it in my case as Ohio has cheep energy, I run the pump 7 hours a day on average, and the season is about 3-4 months long here. That being said I found some 2-speed Centery (formally AO Smith) that are supposed to easily plug right into to the pump housing for my Super II Pump.

So a couple questions:
- First....any major concerns with switching the AO Smith single speed for the new 2-speed?
- Second...My old motor was a 1 HP with 1.1 SF, so 1.1 THP. The 1 HP replacement 2-speed had a service factor of 1.5, so much higher THP than what I had and it is very hard to find. There is a 3/4 HP 2-speed with a service factor of 1.4 giving me a THP of 1.125. Any concerns with replacing the 1 HP with the 3/4 HP 2-speed. Will the impeller sized for a 1HP motor put to much strain on the 3/4 HP.

Any other general advice on this would be much appreciated.

I should mention that I recently added a SWG to my pool this year, so if anyone has experience that says the lower setting for a two speed may not produce enough flow for the SWG that would be of interest also.

Thanks!

You just need to THP to be at least your old motor to avoid overheating.

You should have no flow issues running on low speed. The super ii is a big pump. I have a smaller pump and can run on low.

The wiring is a little different. Need to add a switch to manually pick the speeds or add a timer to switch speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.