Replacing Intex Aerator Inlet While Pool Is Full Question

Davis S.

Apr 25, 2020
North East - US
Going to swap out my Bestway Filter Pump for a 3000 GPH Intex tomorrow. Considering its a 18 x 48 Coleman / Bestway pool everything as is can be plug and play, including all inlets and outlets. However the Intex Hyrdo Aeration inlet fitting seems so far superior to the existing Bestway in that it can be aimed with the gimble / ball and seems to have better functionality overall. The question is can i change it while the pool is full. In other words, will I be overcome with pressure or risk damage by trying to quickly swap them out. I don't think i could plug it like i would the outlet tubes . These are the instructions that came specifically with the pump in orc er to do the change. I am guessing it would be unscrewing the pool side and then somehow plugging that from the other side. I cannot find anything on the internet or Youtube which leads me to believe its a bad idea or at the minimum i shoudl drain the pool to the inlet level . Any insight thoughts or resources greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• aerator.jpeg
    aerator.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22
You are wanting to replace one inlet with another while the pool is full?
When we upsized our intex 1.25” to 1.5” inlet we had to cut a hole in the liner with the pool full. Scary but did it.
We placed a Tupperware container over the existing inlet with someone inside holding it. We are put a small rag in the new inlet so when we put inside of the pool it would not leak as much. We pulled the rag into the pool a little and connected the outside plunger valve and pipe. With the plunger valve closed we removed the rag and the Tupperware and the screwed in the inside of the pool parts. Minimal leaking. Better flow for pump.

Reactions: splashpad
You are wanting to replace one inlet with another while the pool is full?
When we upsized our intex 1.25” to 1.5” inlet we had to cut a hole in the liner with the pool full. Scary but did it.
We placed a Tupperware container over the existing inlet with someone inside holding it. We are put a small rag in the new inlet so when we put inside of the pool it would not leak as much. We pulled the rag into the pool a little and connected the outside plunger valve and pipe. With the plunger valve closed we removed the rag and the Tupperware and the screwed in the inside of the pool parts. Minimal leaking. Better flow for pump.

OMG. Thanks for the idea. I used a Tupperware container like you said and easy-peasey, no hassle and minimal water loss. Thanks for the idea. The only hiccup i had was that while i was hopiegn plug and play for my upgrade to the 3000 GPH Intex Sand for some reason the Intex supplied hoses seems to "overturn" when tightening to the connectors, but the existing Bestways seems to have no issue so i left them on. Man, what a difference going from the crappy loud cartridge to this powerhouse.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.