Replacing Hayward Superpump Motor

skillset

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Central NJ
Hi all,

My 1.5HP Superpump motor is starting to make a bit of a grinding noise so I would think the bearings are going. I saw another post where the motor is available on:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/56Jframe.htm

2 questions:

1. Does anyone know the energy difference between a regular versus energy efficient model? Wonder if it's worth the extra $70 for the energy efficient one.

2. Looking at the site directions, it doesn't seem too bad. I'm comfortable working with electric, but not that great assembling things, so just wonder if this as a DIY project? My pool company quotes me the regular model with install at $450 - but it only costs $208 for the part, so wondering if I can save some $.

Take a look at youtube the superpump is a very popular model and there are many videos showing the steps to change the motor. It can be easily done without disconnecting the plumbing assuming you are handy at household projects. Basically 8 bolts, the wiring connection, and unscrewing the impeller.

Ike

I just rebuilt two of these, one requiring full gasket replacement, one just needed a new shaft seal. You want to get replacements for the main shaft seal and the body and intake gaskets. I bought a complete Hayward superpump kit from Amazon that included all the gaskets and the shaft seal. It really was a piece of cake to rebuild these pumps. What is most important is that you get everything squeaky clean before you start to reassemble the pump and secondly that you be extremely careful not to contaminate the surfaces of the main shaft seal. I used very clean soft rags in handling the two parts to make sure I didn't get any finger grease on them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.