Franklin, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I would like to replace my 12v Hayward Colorlogic led light with a pool tone 12v led light. I have a plastic niche which has a green stranded wire which to my knowledge has never been used. I have 2 questions:
1) Colorlogic light has no ground wire, but PoolTone does. I’ve read that the ground could accidentally allow greater current flow if connected at the transformer. Do I connect the ground at the transformer or not and what do I do with the ground wite in the plastic niche?
2) The Hayward transformer inputs 120v and outputs 14v. Can I use it with the PoolTone 12v light or do I have to get another transformer?

Green wire in the niche should be the bond wire, not a ground wire. It should have been connected to a bond lug somewhere in the niche. All electrical conductors, including a ground wire, should be in the cable attached to the light and sealed from the water.

What does Pool Tone say about voltage? For best results follow manufacturer's instruction. LED bulbs, fixtures, etc. are electronic devices and may be sensitive to voltage requirements.

Most "12 volt" pool transformers will actually have taps for up to 14 volts for use with longer light cables. You might check yours. If it has a blue (14v) wire, a black (12v), and yellow (13v) wire it can be used, no problem.

Thanks so much. I saw elsewhere that the loose green wire inside the niche should have been connected as the bond, but it isn’t and there didn’t appear to be a lug or anything to attach it to. The wire was cut flat ( no insulation stripped off it). I stripped some insulation and wedged it into a slot that was in the metal strap that the light screws into. Will that suffice? Also the niche is plastic and the PoolTone light is housed in metal (if that makes any difference).
PoolTone recommended a new transformer since Hayward’s was not selectable.

Could the Colorlogic have played out so fast because it has no ground wire and there wasn’t a bond either?

Thanks so much. I saw elsewhere that the loose green wire inside the niche should have been connected as the bond, but it isn’t and there didn’t appear to be a lug or anything to attach it to. The wire was cut flat ( no insulation stripped off it). I stripped some insulation and wedged it into a slot that was in the metal strap that the light screws into. Will that suffice? Also the niche is plastic and the PoolTone light is housed in metal (if that makes any difference).
PoolTone recommended a new transformer since Hayward’s was not selectable.

Could the Colorlogic have played out so fast because it has no ground wire and there wasn’t a bond either?
If there was no green wire in the light cable the light didn't need a ground.
Bond wire is to protect people.

If there was no green wire in the light cable the light didn't need a ground.
Bond wire is to protect people.
Should I figure out some way to attach the bond wire to a screw or something to the niche rather than strip it and tuck it into a metal groove? Where should the lug be that it would attach to?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.