Replacing Filter - Do I have to replace control valve?

ducttapekz

Jul 10, 2021
Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My Haward S310S gave out this weekend. The top warped and the seal keeps bursting. I ordered a replacement Sunday and it is being delivered tomorrow. It doesn't include a new control valve but I haven't had any problems with my current one (SP0715X62). Any drawback to just replacing the filter and not the control valve? Anything else I should know before changing a sand filter for the first time?

Here is a picture of the top of the tank. If you look close you can see the right side is bent up and the plastic looks broke/ripped.

IMG_4442.jpg

My Haward S310S gave out this weekend. The top warped and the seal keeps bursting. I ordered a replacement Sunday and it is being delivered tomorrow. It doesn't include a new control valve but I haven't had any problems with my current one (SP0715X62). Any drawback to just replacing the filter and not the control valve? Anything else I should know before changing a sand filter for the first time?

Here is a picture of the top of the tank. If you look close you can see the right side is bent up and the plastic looks broke/ripped.

View attachment 480352
Valve should just slide into place with no issues. Might want to get new O rings and be sure to lube them. Tighten the nuts and you should be good.

Reactions: ducttapekz
Thanks for the advice! The change went well. I wanted to change the seals but I couldn't get them soon enough so I just had to use the existing and some lube. I'll change them when I change the junction in the next few years.

Removing the filter and the wet sand was a lot harder than installing the new one. I cut a big hole in the side of it to remove the sand because shop vaccing the sand was painful. I don't think changing the sand or changing the laterals in these is feasible. It'd be like working on a ship in a bottle.

Attachments

• poolfilter.jpg
    poolfilter.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.