Replacing Failed Single Speed Pump

X2 above. I was trying to get a 342001 when I was trying to avoid rewiring to 220, but I was lucky and had an unused 220v circuit in my basement (for an electric dryer we had replaced with a gas dryer ages ago) that I was able to easily repurpose for pool pump instead.

That's a great pump choice, you will be happy with it. I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm for skimming and making chlorine and it only uses 150 watts which costs less than 12 bucks per month running 24x7.

Went from being an easy swap to...
3f0110d5c0ff2bf366c3a12304c1b8ed.jpg
c0d16cf99950bfcbab5f42c6c5bbefc9.jpg

First question. How bad is it if I place the pump on some stands? Sloppy I know.

If I'm going to re-pipe, might as well do it well.

I thought the system was on 2 inch PVC but apparently its 1.5 into the pump and 2 going out to the filter.

a911a10ca51ebd807ce6fb2d7b44d91f.jpg

Thoughts? Pictures? Suspect this will take a good half day or so to replace. If we're talking about breaking concrete, at that point I think professional help would be in order?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I used a patio paver to bring the pump up but I'm still a bit short. Probably need to cut a patio paver in half to get an extra half inch of height. I could go find a 1.5 inch paver if that's the route to go. I wasn't sure how frowned upon it was to use shims under a pool pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A patio slab and a chunk of rubber would probably work well. Mitigating vibration (with the rubber) is also going to be helpful in making sure the pump is stable - if it wants to vibrate and move just sitting on a concrete slab (unless you drill it and actually mount the pump to it) it might end up pulling on the plumbing and possibly causing issues.

Plumbing the outlet should be straightforward with some new piping and a new coupler.

Before you wire things up I'd go ahead and bypass the old timer circuit as well - you won't need it anymore anyways, and honestly I wouldn't trust the old (probably dirty and corroded) contacts in there to switch cleanly...and VS pump circuitry are sensitive beasts, you don't want to be feeding them dirty power.

I'd try to get it on something more secure for the height issue. That will vibrate when it's running and the pump will put stress on the plumbing as that'll be what's more or less holding it in place at that point.

How close is the back of the motor to your house? Unlike your old motor, the VS motor has vent holes in the back of the motor where heated air from the motor exits. Be sure you have enough clearance in the back of the motor to let the air circulate or you might have overheating problems.

c965ad42524294e291adc525b70c7d13.jpg

Is it pretty? Not really. But I had to redo some of the plumbing. Had minor issues with electrical. Biggest pain in the you know what. But it's currently priming with no leaks. I'm calling this a success. Thanks all!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.