Replacing concrete pool deck

pixiedustbelly

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
We are planning on replacing our concrete pool deck because it has become rough, cracked and unlevel. The concrete guy says he can tear the old concrete out and repour it. The pool guy says that would require replacing the coping and liner.

Who should I believe? Thoughts?? Thank you for your input and expertise!

If I'm understanding right, I don't think we have a coping cantilever. The concrete is poured flush with aluminum coping. I'll attach a picture.

And yes, it is a vinyl lined pool.

Attachments

• 20220405_131514.jpg
    20220405_131514.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220405_131517.jpg
    20220405_131517.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 43
I agree with ruleandrews, the coping would be damaged. Our pool is vinyl lined, with an aluminum coping. I'm looking at either a total patio replacement, or replace one bad section (not adjacent to the pool). The Concrete guy says the coping will be fine if he replaces everything, but I don't believe him. 50 year-old aluminum would fall apart, and then I'm looking at a real mess.
Is there a way to repair the cracks? Any idea what caused them?
Ron

How much more is it to replace the coping? If you have a nice new deck, it would be nice to have new coping to go with it. Of course now you throw in the liner and it may destroy the budget.

How much more is it to replace the coping? If you have a nice new deck, it would be nice to have new coping to go with it. Of course now you throw in the liner and it may destroy the budget.
I agree with this guy, removing and replacing the concrete is an expensive work so you should wait that your liner is due for replacement and do liner, coping and concrete at the same time. Doing this you will get like a new pool. This is what I did and very happy that I have done everything at once.

From old looking pool with pvc coping/ stairs to modern looking pool with concrete cantilever coping and integrated stairs!
Avant-Apres.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.