Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hello All:

My pump seemingly bit the dust over the weekend. It is about 11 years old so I guess it is about time. In the interest of getting it done fast I think I want to change it myself.

Some general information / questions.....
  • I currently have a Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp 2 speed pump - I have been happy with its performance so sticking with that one would be ideal.
  • I do not have any automation - so this would eliminate a VS pump consideration, correct?
  • I have unions at both pump connections - can I unscrew the fittings that go into the input and output of the pump and reuse them?
  • I saw on-line that when disconnecting the electric something about shorting the capacitor. I only saw that advice in one video, is that something that needs to be done and if so how?
  • My current pump has a toggle switch on the back to change speeds - I am not certain that was a standard part - I am not really seeing a good photo of the back of the pump on-line to know for certain.
  • It seems really easy (alomos too easy) - am I missing something important that will make the job much harder? If I get the same pump with the input and output in the same locations, it seems just a matter of connecting the electric and the in/out without modification, and I am on my way.
In the meantime, I am adding bleach daily and running the cleaner to keep the water moving.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I do not have any automation - so this would eliminate a VS pump consideration, correct?
You don't need automation for a VS pump. A VS pump would allow you to program timers for different pump speeds without having to manually flip a switch. Since you need to replace your pump anyways, it may be a good time to upgrade.

You should be able to reuse the unions assuming they are not glued into the pump. You might replace the o-rings in the unions for a bit of insurance against leaks. I'm not sure if a Pentair Intelliflo would be a direct fit.

Make sure you read the warranty when shopping for pumps. Self-installs on Pentair pumps cut down the warranty significantly. Leslie's recently had an offer for free installation on pumps. Keep an eye out for that promotion.

What pump do you have? I'm about to replace the motor on mine. I have a WFE-26 which is a dual-speed 1.5 up rated pump. I really like the whisperflo dual speeds. Mine has been exposed to the elements and I think the bonding connection wasn't secure as there is a little corrosion. I really like Pentair because there always seems to be replacement parts for them. I was honestly just about to post asking what I could swap with the motor (trying not to highjack your thread).

IMG_0367.jpeg

So some interesting info.

Spoke to my pool installer from 10 years ago or so and their solution was $2300 though a lot of that was because they are several hours away from us.

Local place down the street from my office quoted $1900 installed for an InteliFlo VSF, then I can get a $400 rebate from my power company and $100 from Pentair. I am leaning that direction and am awaiting a formal quote in the email.

Couple of remaining questions - they will program the pump, but if I need to reprogram, is it fairly easy and intuitive? Is this a good replacement for what I currently have (not under-powered even at its maximum relative to the 1.5hp I currently have).

That doesn't sound like a bad deal. The vs may not be an exact fit for the plumbing, but it will work well with your pool, or just about any pool. A vs pump can't be oversized. You just run it at lower RPMs. In the long run, it will save you money over a 2-speed. It's not the easiest thing to program, but if you read the manual and play with it a few times, it will get easier.

Thanks - that is the installed and programmed price. I will be around for the last parts of the install so I will be able to ask a lot of questions. Being able to outsoruce the plumbing issues and programming has some value to me. :eek:) I do everythign else myself so I look at this as a few dollars well spent.

The main advantage to a professional install is you retain the full Pentair warranty. You can download the user manual on the Pentair website to get a head start. Best wishes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.