Replacing a Hayward T-5 Cell - is GLX-CELL-5 what I need?

hollows68

Jun 13, 2010
I stupidly didn't remove my SWG cell over the winter & it cracked (because I couldn't loosen the fitting on the bottom & gave up - stupid AND expensive mistake). I now need to replace the cell which is currently a Hayward T-CELL-5 that originally came with pool when I purchased it in 2012. I've been unable to find a T-5 other than as part of a complete system with the Aqua Trol control box (which I already have). I only see the GLX - is that what I need
Thanks!

Jamison04

Jun 21, 2011
Tecumseh, OK
Our T5 cell went out last fall as well (Salt read 0 and the voltage was barely registering when it would cycle) and in my search this past week for a new one all I was able to find was the new GLX-5 which every site I've look at shows as the cell that I would need to replace my old T5.

I bit the bullet and bought the GLX-5 cell which arrived last Friday and I installed it yesterday afternoon. I did have to reset the average salt reading on the controller but it has been working flawlessly since yesterday. It is reading the salt level with in 200ppm of what I tested it at and the voltage when generating is right with in spec according to the aquatrol manual. :)

I'm guessing that Hayward changed the models up a bit and this is the new version. I got 5 years out of the old cell and hope to get the same or more on the new one.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
If I remember correctly, the old aquarite that used the T5 will work with the newer T15.

Otherwise the glx 5 should work too, I think.

Are they both rated for 40k? Now I am doubting, what I remember :D