Replacing a cracked Hayward MicroclearDE36 with Progrid48, can I do this myself?

DStoops

May 21, 2020
Portage, MI
This seems like an easy transfer but wanted to check with some more knowledgeable folks before doing this on my own. It appears to be the same threaded unions for the input and output, is there anything tricky about this job?

It's looks like it might be a straight-across swap. Nobody is ever that lucky!

A few parts diagrams I looked at show the same part number for the multiport, so it looks like it's just a matter of unscrewing the valve from the filter body and leaving the plumbing undisturbed. Hopefully they're the same height. Use new O-rings and lubricate them with pool-lube.

so the height was dead on. Just have a few questions on the install.

Do I hand tighten the bulkheads from the multiport or do I need a big wrench?

Do I use seal/Teflon/anything on the threads?

Do I have to lube the inner housing oring prior to first use?

Any other common mistakes that I should avoid?

im sure this is easy but I’m good at finding a way to screw stuff up. Thanks in advance.

628D7AE9-C42F-4BAE-80D9-C0CBA2D43EE0.jpeg

There should be some new O-rings for those couplings and they should be lubed. If it was me, I'd put a dab of silicon lubricant on the threads as well, just to make it easier to turn. And I don;t think they need to be much more than hand-tight. It's compressing the O-ring that seals it.

The big waist O-ring? I'd take a peek at it and see if it's already greasy. And also make sure that nobody forgot anything inside, like the air bleed screen, or to tighten the wing nut.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.