Replacing a circuit breaker

Sep 10, 2015
Houston
I am planning to replace a circuit breaker in my pool control panel. Do I need to turn off the main circuit breaker that controls the power to the whole house or there should be a dedicated breaker for the pool on the main circuit box?

Thank you!!

Depends on how power is "fed" to your pool control panel, and if that pool panel has its own "Main" ON/OFF switch to everything below it. You might post a pic of that pool control panel and perhaps the main panel before that (i.e. feed from the house) so our folks here can get some eyes on that for you.

When in doubt, kill it all. I have a breaker in my main panel that feeds out to my pool sub panel. Yes, you could just kill the breaker supplying the sub panel, but it’s safer to be paranoid especially with hands that close to the buss. I would turn both off, the main and the secondary, that leaves two barriers between you and live power.

Also, a contactless power detected as well as a multimeter is your friend.

If you have a sub panel, it pretty much has to have a breaker in the main panel that feeds it. I have one breaker that feeds my load center by the pool.

As always, it makes sense that once you shut of the feed from the main panel, that you do a quick test to confirm that all the power to the sub panel is off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.