Replacement/repair advice - Pentair Pinnacle

Feb 17, 2011
I have 2 Pentair Pinnacle pumps- one for pool (spillover), and one for spa bubbles. About every 4-5 years, I either have to replace the motor, or the pump housing on one or the other. The pump housings (part 356002) all seem to develop cracks in the same place, and the manufacturer has never offered any assistance or discount on replacements. The most recent housing (purchased in 2017), has a leak on suction side, which is no big deal as it basically spits out some additional bubbles in the return lines. But yesterday I noticed it active leaking from the return side- The outlet connection has developed a crack (in the threaded area).

While replacing the housing is relatively easy to do, the cost has gone up substantially- (~$175 in 2017, about $230 now).

Any advice on if I should repair AGAIN, or just replace completely? Any recommendations for online retailers?

I am in Florida, so this thing runs 8 hours a day, every day.... and is in direct sunlight.

Thanks!

An option to consider would be to use one VS pump for both with some plumbing changes.

Thanks @mknauss

I did some brick and mortar shopping today. It seems like these pumps have increased in price. Leslies seems to sell the 011028, where Pinch a Penny is selling the 011056, and only that model.
While I hate to pay the $$ premium at the store (plus 150 for installation, plus tax), is seems like I should for the 3 year warranty vs. 60 day "sorry you installed this yourself" warranty. If I charge on AMEX I will get an additional year. Plus there is a $100 Pentair rebate, and I believe it will qualify for a $350 rebate from my local electric company (I am not sure if these rebates require professional installation or not).

It seems like this pump may be overkill for replacing my 3/4 Pinnacle (feeding 1.5" lines), but the other option was a Superflow with 3 motor speeds. From what I've been reading here, you may or may not get one with the ability to control over RS485..... which I believe you can do with the 011056.

For now I will just keep the spa pump and plumbing the same- Once it dies I'll look at rerouting.

Any feedback on my thinking would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a plan.
I do believe the Pentair warranty is 2 years if professionally installed. The retail places may be adding a year. Most rebates require a professional install.
FYI -- 'professional' definition is pretty loose. Any paid installer (plumber, electrician, handyman, pool maintenance, etc) qualifies. You essentially just need a copy of an invoice showing the installation by the 'professional'. You can purchase the pump anywhere you like.

So after pulling the trigger with a local Pinch a Penny for an Intelliflow VSF, I was just informed that they cannot get one... Pentair has stopped production until the end of April. They are trying to swap in an Intellipro VSF, which I do not want.

They are trying to swap in an Intellipro VSF, which I do not want
It should be the same thing just by ‘Sta-Rite’ whom Pentair bought. I recall reading a while ago that Pentair bought them specifically for this pump and rebranded it as their own ‘intelloflo’. Then they kept the intellipro going as a ‘trade grade’ / commercial line of the company.

i had a intellipro and it always amused me that the sticker had a big Sta-Rite logo and in tiny letters said ‘a Pentair company’. Seeing how Pentair is the Cadillac of equipment it seemed odd for them to promote the other brand.

@mknauss can you confirm/deny what I think I know ?

The IntelliPro is based on the Maxepro single speed pump.

The Intelliflo is based on the Whisperflo.

The motors should be the same.

The performance should be roughly the same.

See if they can get an Intelliflo XF pump which is a better pump.

Maybe go with a SuperFlo VS if you don't need a lot of flow.

Reactions: Newdude
Dang is this confusing. So the IntelliPRO they are trying to sell me is the clamshell design - Which I don't want. But THAT IntelliPRO looks like the IntelliFLOW, only black.
I do not believe the Superflow VS has RS485... or some may, some may not.
My current pump is 3/4HP... I do have solar panels and a spillover spa.
The IntelloFlow VSF may be overkill for my needs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a spa, unless you do not use it as such, an Intelliflo 3hp pump would be better.
The Superflo VS being sold now (need to check that it is current stock) does have a RS485.
Polytec Pools shows they have Intelliflo pumps in stock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.