Replacement Pump: Short inlet & Slip union?

jeanpascalc

Apr 5, 2021
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Hello,
My Hayward Superpump has been loosing prime every morning in the past few days.
It's leaking water from the bottom so am guessing the housing is cracked or some gasket is bad but this is not primary question as I have a Calimar VSP waiting to be mounted so it's a good opportunity to swap.
I already have a union above the check valve so that part is easy to disassemble at least. I may even be able to re-use the check valve if the pipe has the right lengh and I can unscrew the pipe.
What about the grey inlet though?
After reading on this forum, I got slip unions I was planning to use for the installation of the new pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XK7UDO/
My plan is to cut the inlet pipe as close as possible from the pump then hope the dimensions work. Is this a good plan?
In the unfortunate event the pipe too short, is it ok to add a coupling before the slip union? Any concerns with such a setup?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20230509_195906 - Copy.jpg
    20230509_195906 - Copy.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 13
After reading on this forum, I got slip unions I was planning to use for the installation of the new pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XK7UDO/
My plan is to cut the inlet pipe as close as possible from the pump then hope the dimensions work. Is this a good plan?
In the unfortunate event the pipe too short, is it ok to add a coupling before the slip union? Any concerns with such a setup?
Overall good plan. Ensure the threaded part of the union matches to your pump thread. Will you put the other union on the pump outlet? You don’t need 2 unions on that pipe to the filter but it doesn’t hurt to have them.
Ok to use a coupling if needed for space out. They jammed you up between the filter and the electrical post on left.
You can push the new pump towards the back some if need to create a longer run on the inlet. This may require you to plump the pipe from the pump to the filter.

Ideally, if you are having trouble holding water in your pump or filter when not running, you could put the check valve on the suction side of the pump (this would hold water in both the pump and the filter) but you would need to move that electrical box to create more space to move the pump over to the left.

Also, welcome to TFP
Please read Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and also view the videos that provide more details on specific topics TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Overall good plan. Ensure the threaded part of the union matches to your pump thread. Will you put the other union on the pump outlet? You don’t need 2 unions on that pipe to the filter but it doesn’t hurt to have them.
Ok to use a coupling if needed for space out. They jammed you up between the filter and the electrical post on left.
You can push the new pump towards the back some if need to create a longer run on the inlet. This may require you to plump the pipe from the pump to the filter.

Ideally, if you are having trouble holding water in your pump or filter when not running, you could put the check valve on the suction side of the pump (this would hold water in both the pump and the filter) but you would need to move that electrical box to create more space to move the pump over to the left.

Also, welcome to TFP
Please read Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and also view the videos that provide more details on specific topics TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Thanks for your quick reply! I was going to put 2 unions since I have them but I agree it's a bit overkill.
The water used to stay in the pump until it started leaking, I should not have this issue with the new pump.
Pushing the pump back is a good idea, I need to see how this plays with the line to the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.