Replacement pump advice - Australia

brendio

May 18, 2020
Queensland, Australia
Just before Christmas, I noticed our a small leak from our pool pump (EcoTouch II 1 HP, 3-speed). Rang the pool shop and they said probably a seal needing replacing. All good to keep operating. Over the Christmas/New Year break, the leak stayed about the same, but the noise level increased. Took the pump to the pool shop this week. Their diagnosis is water has gotten inside the motor, and it is uneconomical to repair ($2000 versus $1620 for a replacement three speed Zodiac Flo Pro E3).

Given that it is a significant cost, I thought I'd ring around and check out other pumps first. I rang a local farm irrigation suppler and their prices were significantly cheaper. $1,155 for a variable speed (which they didn't recommend) or $550 for a single speed 550 W pump that can do 42,000L/h circulation.

What are the specification that are important to look at and do any other Aussies have expereince with the local brands available here?

I know the variable speed pumps can save power, but the difference in upfront cost is also significant. We do plan to invest in rooftop solar evetually, to help offset power consumption from the pump.

Thought I would add, I have been using a suction cleaner, but bought a robot on Boxing Day that is yet to be installed. The OngoPPP 550 seems less powerful, but I only ran our last pump on it's med speed anyway (It ran at full for 5 min or so, and then dropped back). Will I have trouble with backwashing with the lower-powered pump?

Pentair has quite a few pumps available in AU...Intelliflo 2 VSF is a great pump...

Hayward also has quite a few pumps in AU.

On the energy side, you can use this with your local electrical rates to figure out the differenc: (These usages are a pretty good approximation for VSP like intelliflow and hayward:
1400 rpm, 200 watts x 24 hours run = 4800 watts ÷1000 = 4.8 kWh x 30 days = 144kWh x 10.c/kWh = $14.40 per month
3000 rpm, 1500 watts x 8 hours run = 12,000 watts ÷1000 = 12 kWh x 30 days = 360kWh x 10.c/kWh = $36 per month

Even reducing the runtime from 24 to 8 hours on the high speed pumps results in a monthly savings of about $20.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.