Replacement Heater Question

RDN

Silver Supporter
Jun 3, 2011
My old Teledyne-Laars Heater finally died - it's like 35 years old.

So I'm going with a new Raypak Heater.

I have two options - a regular Copper Fin Tube heat exchanger with Polymer (read: Plastic) headers, and a Cupro-Nickel Fin Tube heat exchanger with Cast Iron Headers.

My pool is currently running about 6% Free Chlorine, for what it's worth. I keep the ph at ~7.5.

Thoughts? The standard Copper Fin version is far cheaper, obviously.

Ron

No reason to spend the extra. As long as you manage your pool water to TFP levels, no issues.

Thanks folks!

I'll go with the standard Copper Fin version then.

I do find it strange that Raypak wants the user to run Free Chlorine at/below 3.0. I know that has been discussed here before, with the conclusion that the CYA ties up some of the actual Chlorine, so my running 6.0 FC with 40 or so CYA is just fine.

Most everyone in the pool industry still clings to the decades old recommendations without apparently looking at the actual chemistry.

Following the TFP recommended levels, you should not have any chemical issues with your heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.