Replacement Heater/Installer Recommendations on Long Island

Sep 5, 2016
Oyster Bay, NY
Hi Folks,

My old Jandy Lite 2 has been terminally ill for a few years and finally bit the bullet last week. Looking to replace with another 400k NG heater, thinking either a Raypak 406A or Jandy JXi. Reading the forums it sounds like the Raypak is preferred, primarily because it is easier to self-maintain which is what I've been doing with the old Jandy.

I'm looking for recommendations on where to purchase and for installers - I'm on the North Shore of LI.

Also wondering:
1) Is there usually a price advantage to order online and just have installed vs. purchase through installer?
2) Can both heaters be set up to turn on/off and/or adjust set point via an app (using wifi/z-wave/whatever) and how hard/expensive is that to make happen?
3) I currently have an off-line chlorinator that I use in the early season and when on vacation, any reason to switch to an in-line one?
4) I also have a tap before the heater that goes to a booster pump but I don't use a polaris anymore. Is there any reason to eliminate the tap and plumb the booster return in after the new heater? Or will the increased flow to the heater not make a difference? I have 3 skimmers, 5 post-heater returns and the booster pump (pre-heater) return.

Thanks,
Jonah

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

1) Is there usually a price advantage to order online and just have installed vs. purchase through installer?

It depends if you can find a quality installer who will install customer supplied equipment.

If you order it then you take responsibility for selecting the right model, dealing with damage in transit, and dealing with where the truck drops it off at your house.

Note the warranty requirements at http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchDocument.aspx?id=79cdbef6-9573-457f-b640-7935025b369e

APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD – UNREGISTERED If the HEATER is installed with a pool or spa, the Applicable Warranty Period is ninety (90) days from the Effective Date, parts and labor, for the HEATER and component parts.
EXTENDED WARRANTY PERIOD – SERVICE PROFESSIONAL If, within 90 days of the Effective Date, (i) the HEATER is installed in a pool or spa at a single family residential dwelling by a properly licensed installer (in accordance with applicable state and local laws and regulations), and (ii) registered with Raypak (www.raypak.com) with an installation receipt attached to such registration, then the Applicable Warranty Period is two (2) years from the Effective Date for the HEATER and component parts. If the Heater is installed anywhere other than a single family residential dwelling, the Applicable Warranty Period for the Heater and component parts is limited to only one (1) year, parts and labor

2) Can both heaters be set up to turn on/off and/or adjust set point via an app (using wifi/z-wave/whatever) and how hard/expensive is that to make happen?

No. Pool heaters are designed to be controlled by pool automation systems. Read Heater Control with Automation - Further Reading

3) I currently have an off-line chlorinator that I use in the early season and when on vacation, any reason to switch to an in-line one?

I am not sure what an off line chlorination system is. Continous use of TriChlor to chlorinate the pool usually leads to excessive CYA levels.

4) I also have a tap before the heater that goes to a booster pump but I don't use a polaris anymore. Is there any reason to eliminate the tap and plumb the booster return in after the new heater? Or will the increased flow to the heater not make a difference? I have 3 skimmers, 5 post-heater returns and the booster pump (pre-heater) return.

It should not make a difference although I would change it as part of the heater install.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Welcome to TFP.

It depends if you can find a quality installer who will install customer supplied equipment.

If you order it then you take responsibility for selecting the right model, dealing with damage in transit, and dealing with where the truck drops it off at your house.

Note the warranty requirements at http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchDocument.aspx?id=79cdbef6-9573-457f-b640-7935025b369e

APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD – UNREGISTERED If the HEATER is installed with a pool or spa, the Applicable Warranty Period is ninety (90) days from the Effective Date, parts and labor, for the HEATER and component parts.
EXTENDED WARRANTY PERIOD – SERVICE PROFESSIONAL If, within 90 days of the Effective Date, (i) the HEATER is installed in a pool or spa at a single family residential dwelling by a properly licensed installer (in accordance with applicable state and local laws and regulations), and (ii) registered with Raypak (www.raypak.com) with an installation receipt attached to such registration, then the Applicable Warranty Period is two (2) years from the Effective Date for the HEATER and component parts. If the Heater is installed anywhere other than a single family residential dwelling, the Applicable Warranty Period for the Heater and component parts is limited to only one (1) year, parts and labor

No. Pool heaters are designed to be controlled by pool automation systems. Read Heater Control with Automation - Further Reading

I am not sure what an off line chlorination system is. Continous use of TriChlor to chlorinate the pool usually leads to excessive CYA levels.

It should not make a difference although I would change it as part of the heater install.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really a TFP newbie, I've been lurkinghere for the last ~5 years and am fairly savvy at water chemistry, etc. which is why I only use trichlor in the early season (to get my CYA up to reasonable levels) and while on vaca. The rest of the time I'm a liquid chlorine guy.

In-line chlorinator:
1596257202313.png
Off-line chlorinator:
1596258046931.png

I'm aware of the warranty requirements which is why I'm looking for recommendations for someone on LI who either deals and/or installs. I'm 90% that I'll go Raypak unless I can get a really good Jandy deal. The shipping risk is a good point and something I would have to consider.

I've set up some contactors controlled via wifi actuated, low voltage, solid state switches - this type of system could turn the heater on/off via power supply control. I was really wondering if there were reasonably priced factory kits for either of these heaters that give you real-time temp readings and temp control. The Jandy full pool automation system is crazy expensive, not sure what Raypak has to offer. I've seen a few third party power controllers that have their own temp sensor, maybe that is the best way to go?

Jonah

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.