Bevo2

Jul 18, 2019
Austin TX
My Hayward Ecostar just got a "pump stalled" error. After reading about this on the internet I consider myself lucky that I got 5.5 years out of it with absolutely no problems. It might be because I have a PS3000 Intermatic surge protector installed, and because I rarely ran the pump at speeds over 2900 RPM. But now I need to move on and buy another pump. I would like to buy a Tristar VS 950 (Model SP32950VSP with 4-year warranty), but I don't want to do it unless the electronics are more reliable than the Ecostar electronics. Does anyone have experience with the Tristar VS 950 (regarding reliability and differences between the Ecostar and Tristar electronics) that they can share with me?

I also looked at Jandy VS pumps. The only one that will fit into my setup is the Jandy Flopro (the Epump and PlusHP are too long). Do you think the Flopro would be a better investment than a Tristar?

Hopefully you'll get some help, but that's pretty specific info you're requesting and it requires some speculation from someone that has owned both.

I would speculate that whatever you buy today will be better than something you bought 5 years ago, just because electronics are continually improving. And as mfg's have issues they change parts to improve things.

As to whether the Jandy is better than the Hayward, that's probably a toss up.

Bama,
Thanks for your reply. I agree that newer electronics should be better. This morning I got a reply from a senior technician at the Hayward factory in North Carolina regarding improvements to the Hayward Tristar VS950 pumps. Here is what he said:

"The new Tri Star 950 has a new style motor on it with a drive that looks the same as the Eco Star, but there have been
changes made to it and extra protection has been added to help with the drive error pump has stalled code.

The Tri Star 950 has now been out about 2 years and I have not heard of any issues with it. I will tell you when the
changes where made they put this pump thru a lot of testing in our R & D lab to see if it would stand up, and it has."

So based on this, the Tristar VS950 should be better than the Ecostar. Time will tell.

Bevo2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.