Replacement for aging Mastertemp?

eameres

Jul 6, 2021
Cohoes, NY
I have a Mastertemp 250 that's getting towards 10 years old which has fought more than a few battles with mice and the elements and is getting more and more cranky about kicking on. I've supplemented that with DIY solar coils which have actually done a pretty good job. The mastertemp uses propane (again, usually just our spa). Since our initial install, we have added a photovoltaic solar system to the property and have an excess of electricity produced. I'm seriously thinking about a heat pump, but I'm concerned with how quickly it would heat up a spa. We're located in the Northeast (upstate NY) and typically use our spa well into October. We heat our house with a hybrid propane/heatpump.

Is a heat pump a realistic option for our use? Anyone have any experiences they want to share? Looking for recommendations.

(ps, I am watching that other thread that's contemplating a gas+HP solution, but I don't know if I want to double the cost... plus propane is $$$)

Last edited:
Maximum HP BTUs is 120K-140K and the BTU output declines as the air temperature deceases. So figure that it will take your spa 2X - 3X as long to heat as your 250K propane heater. Also HPs shutdown when air temperature approaches 50F.

I was just reading up about the Pentair hybrid HP/Propane. It's pricey, but it would pretty much be a drop-in replacement, right? 220KBTU vs 250KBTU, but I think it has an efficiency bump due to the titanium heat exchanger.

I see where some people recommend going with separate units rather than the hybrid, but would that complicate the Easytouch setup and rule out my DIY solar being controlled?

The ET supports dual heaters. The MasterTemp gas heater connects to J19 and the UltraTemp HP connects to the RS-485 J20 Com Port. The UltraTemp ETI Hybrid heater uses the same connections. I don't think there is a difference in the way the ET controls two heaters or one hybrid heater.

Follow-up question... What would be the equivalent of that 220K hybrid? a 140K UltraTemp HP + MasterTemp 175K or 200K ? Seems like the combo would kick the hybrids Rear in terms of output capacity. My pool is 25K gal with a typical 500g spillover spa.

If you have a spa I would get a 400K heater. The difference in cost is small and you get quicker heating. Your propane usage would be the same if you have a 400K, 250K or 220K heater. You would use the same amount of gas in a shorter time to heat to s specified temperature.

Then supplement with a 140K HP if you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.