Replacement cell for Jandy Aquapure 1400

dndrich

Silver Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Sebastopol, CA
TFPool Pals:

My 13 year old Jandy Aquapure system is throwing the 120, 121 error codes now. I suspect the cell needs to be replaced. Think I got around 5 years from this one, which is pretty good. I acid washed it, and that may have been the final death knell as I open for the season. I think it had been basically working, but probably not now. Anyway, I get tired of shelling out $700 buck for one of these, and wondered if anybody had any experience with this one, a replacement generic from SaltPoolStore. It runs $300. I searched the forums, but not much info. Could be worth a shot.

Reactions: atstabler
Sensor looks good. Reads 3100 just like my good test kit. No, it is right on. And, I replaced the sensor a few years ago with the updated 2 pole sensor from Jandy. It comes with a programmable box too. I am running program A as instructed. Has been working well. So I think the problem is likely the cell is finally kaput.

What is the number on the cpu?

That shows the software revision or you can get it as shown in this guide.

If the power interface board firmware is
02110A10 or 01220A15, you use program A, otherwise you use program B.

Make sure that there is no adapter circuit board between the plug and the circuit board.

Raise the salinity to about 3,600 ppm.
I'd have to look, but the firmware is in my memory the A15, and the program A has been working fine.

Really? Raise the salinity? My pool has been fine at 3000 for 13 years. I assume raising the salinity improves the voltage across the anode/cathode, but if that is the case, sounds like the cell is pooping out and losing metal like they do.

When you replace the cell, you should get the complete PLC1400 Cell kit that includes the trisensor and power cord.
Are you saying go with the generic and use the whole kit? Because in the past I have had no problem just replacing the cell when it went bad, and replacing the sensor when it went bad. My current sensor is the replacement with only 2 poles, not the old style trisensor.

That is probably what I will do. First, I have a spare DC cable, so on the off chance that is the problem I will replace that. But I suspect it is just an old cell now. So, at that price, worth a flyer. If it fails early, I may replace the whole system eventually. It is 13 years old, and I believe Jandy has discontinued it for something newer? In any event, I would then be looking for advice for what to replace it with. There are many nice systems to be had it appears for under $800 for the whole system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi I thought I had to replace my SWG too, but it wasn't working because the salt level was too low. Once the salinity was up to 2.8 it started working again. Only found this out because the pool company suggested it before sending the tech to the house.
My salt level is 3200 measured with the correct test kit, and by the sensor. Salinity is not the problem here.

@dndrich - I have the Aquapure 1400 that is about the same age as yours. I am on about my 3 or 4th cell and I may need a new one soon. I don't have any experience with that generic one, but if you do get it then please post your results and let us know how it goes. I would love to know if that is an option.

Reactions: atstabler
OK, so the new cell came from Australia in about a week, and I installed it today. It was a snap to install. And I am happy to report, at least for one day, it works like a champ! Furthermore, it has a clear housing, so you can actually see it generating the chlorine when it is on. Nice!
So, I am quite pleased to say the least. I opened the Aquapure housing, removed the DC cable from the obvious spot, and installed the new cable. It just has two leads as expected. Nothing to it. It is manufactured by Compupool. Thumbs up.

84288C28-052C-48DA-8E86-7E3DE963BC73_1_201_a.jpeg

What does it look like when it’s generating chlorine?
You see lots of micro bubbles emanating from the plates of the cell. I can see the same with the small Saltron Mini chlorine generator I have in my spa. The OEM unit is gray and you cannot see inside it. This replacement unit has a translucent case, and you can see right into the cell. Pretty cool actually.

Did you change the sensor too, or just the cell, does it work fine with the controller?
Only the cell. The sensor is one of the newer 2 pole replacements that has the program box on the cord. I believe Jandy updated the replacement a number of years ago, from the unreliable 3 pole ones. I replaced it a few years ago, and you have to program the little box in the cord to program A or B depending on your version of the controller. Pretty easy. It has been completely reliable.

No, all I did was replace the cell for the $299 and it seems to be working like a champ.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.