Hot Springs, Ar
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
For the past few weeks I have been calling around trying to get some quotes on replacing my pool liner. Turns out in my small city there really aren't that many places that do it.

The first company I called is already booked up into next year.
The second company can get me in this year, but it probably wont be done until late-end of June, earliest.
The 3rd option is an independent guy that told me he would probably be done by end-of may.
The 4th option has repeatedly told me they would get me a quote and just can't seem to do it so I am beyond hesitant to actually do business at this point.
All of those timelines include waiting on the liner to arrive, which is apparently taking extra long due to covid.

So, my liner, I have no idea how old it is but I am going to guess 12 years+. It is completely white but I am sure it had a pattern at some point. There are a few patches in it, and I am pretty confident it is currently leaking a lot. It's pulled out of the track in several areas as well.
The wall of the pool is disfigured and I guess we won't know why until we get under the liner but I except that area to need repairing. Best guess is when the yard was a flood zone (we fixed that), the water pushed the ground out and it became all lumpy. Guy #3 did see this in person and said he wasn't really worried about it.
I also have an unknown source of iron/metals in my pool and I am ready to just get rid of the water and put new in.

Guy #3 quoted me $3800 for a Latham liner + install, and I am not sure if that includes taxes or not. The liners are 27mil. 3-4 weeks for liner to arrive. Done by end of may. He wants $2200 deposit/rest upon finish. Doesn't accept cards (debit or credit) so we would have to pay through his distributor, but I don't think he charges more for it. I guess I just thought this was a little odd, but maybe it is not unusual?

Company #2 has quoted me $3900, tax included, and it's an actual quote on paper valid for 30 days. For liner + install + 1 bags worth of repair (it's gonna need more I'm sure), and it's a 20mil Hydra liner. I prefer the pattern to the Latham. They have already said they are super backed up due to delays with covid. Best guess was being able to get liner done by the end of June. They want $3100 deposit/rest upon finish.
My concerns with this option are that I was surprised the 20mil liner is costing more/as much as the 27mil liner. But, I do like the actual liner pattern more. Also, starting the liner replacement in June. Once they drain the water, how long would I be without a pool? That's pretty much middle of swim season for down here. I guess it would be nice and warm for the liner to be pliable. I just don't know how long this typically takes to complete.
We don't like, swim daily, so if it was a week or two, that's probably fine. Is there any reason it would take longer then that typically? Would I be ready to swim again by July?

Would you take either of these options or gamble the liner until next year, getting things scheduled in the fall?

So, my liner, I have no idea how old it is but I am going to guess 12 years+. It is completely white but I am sure it had a pattern at some point. There are a few patches in it, and I am pretty confident it is currently leaking a lot. It's pulled out of the track in several areas as well.

The fact you suspect it’s leaking a lot is concerning to me. Can you expand on that comment? Maybe post some photos??

I'm Berry sad for you Ms Shortcake. :confused:
. I just don't know how long this typically takes to complete.
1 day without any extensive wall damage under the liner and 2-3 days if its a bigger deal. You could also take several days to fill with a weak garden hose. So, I guess the worst case scenario providing the liner fits when they unbox it is a week. Best case with a easy liner swap and a water truck would be 6 hours.

The fact you suspect it’s leaking a lot is concerning to me. Can you expand on that comment? Maybe post some photos??
I have been losing water at a rate that just seems too high! I know evaporation is a thing but I'll go from top of skimmer to mid-skimmer in just a few days time and I have to add water every few days, for a few hours at a time. We tried repatching on the most suspect patch incase it had failed, but it didn't make a difference. It just seems like every time I look at the pool I should add water to it. I don't think I have any photos right now that would be helpful, what would you like to see?

I did do a bucket test last year and as far as I remember it failed, the pool had lost more then the bucket did - but I can't recall the amount. I have no idea where the leak could be but I know there are several patches the previous owners did. I have no doubt the liner needs replacing, just wondering if it doesn't seem like the right time to do it. Covid seems to be making things really difficult.
I'm Berry sad for you Ms Shortcake. :confused:

1 day without any extensive wall damage under the liner and 2-3 days if its a bigger deal. You could also take several days to fill with a weak garden hose. So, I guess the worst case scenario providing the liner fits when they unbox it is a week. Best case with a easy liner swap and a water truck would be 6 hours.

Okay, so that doesn't seem to bad. I don't think they do water trucks around here, I need to ask I'm just not hopeful about it lol.

I have no doubt the liner needs replacing, just wondering if it doesn't seem like the right time to do it. Covid seems to be making things really difficult.
So here is what you don't want to hear, but you need to hear. If you know it is leaking, you know that it is destroying the pool itself. Letting it go for another year could be shortening the lifespan by much more than that.

Times are tough right now both for people's finances, and then also the jacked up Covid prices making it just as bad for people who weren't necessarily hurting in the first place. But delaying the fix may be pennynwise and pound foolish. What's a whole pool going for installed, if you can find one ? Food for thought. :)

How about some throw back photos to when we first uncovered the pool after moving in?
It was holding water well then. It was full up when we uncovered it. You can see the liner off the tracks in several places...which remains to this day.
It took over a month to rehab the pool, and that was in 2019 so memory is hazy but I don't think I had to add water to it other then after lots of backwashing.
IMG_0359.jpgIMG_0360.jpgIMG_0560.jpg

We did eventually get the water looking as nice as it could, though!

IMG_1074.jpg

To be honest, I'm surprised the liner hasn't ripped or something outright. It just looks old. We are able to replace the liner now due to the stimulus checks and upcoming tax returns, but neither option I have feels very good...I'm really hesitant to go with the independent guy, but feeling a bit cheated by the big company. :confused:

My main worry is a dramatic tear all at once when it’s most inconvenient for you. It sounds like you’re on borrowed time, personally I’d act now on your terms (even though the terms aren’t the greatest) rather than act later on the liners terms. You’re still able to use the pool right up until they replace the liner so in some ways it sounds like the only downside of doing it now is you may not be in love with the design.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I just wanted to check in case it could be another source of a heavy leak. If you don't see visible tears in the vinyl, do a leak test around the steps, light niche, skimmer, and return. You want the pool to hold water until the pool repair guy is ready to work on the pool. If you find the source you may be able to add another patch and slow it down.

We are undergoing a liner replacement right now. We drained pool on Tuesday, new liner went in Wednesday. We had to stop filling for awhile and wait for the pool guy to come smooth wrinkles and make sure liner was firmly in tracks. We are rural and only have a 3/4” water line running into our backyard, so the filling is taking several days. Even with that, our pool will be up and running in just about exactly one week from when we began to drain. It may take a couple more days before the water is completely balanced, but a one week downtime is a good estimate.

Reactions: Newdude and Leebo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.