Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2020
NYC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
When I first bought my house and got the pool, I consumed a lot of pool maintenance videos. One of them was about replacing the grid fabric on a DE filter. At the time I assumed this was the normal way to do this. Fast forward a few years and I have a hole in two of my 60 sq ft pentair DE filter. Now I am looking for that replacement fabric, but all I see is replacement grids. So what's the scoop, is anyone replacing the fabric or does everyone replace the grids? And If it's the grids, do I replace all of them at the same time or just the holy ones? From what I can tell, they sell them in sets. But maybe you only replace one at a time and keep the rest in storage?

How large are the holes? If tiny, an old trick is to dab a bit of PVC glue over the hole. It will hold a long time. Can get you by until you get some replacements. Remember that all the grids have subjected to the same wear. If one or two have failed the others are likely to do so as well. Best practice is to replace them as a set and not have to worry about when the next one will start leaking DE. Trouble free means not having to take that cluster apart more than you need to.

How large are the holes? If tiny, an old trick is to dab a bit of PVC glue over the hole. It will hold a long time. Can get you by until you get some replacements. Remember that all the grids have subjected to the same wear. If one or two have failed the others are likely to do so as well. Best practice is to replace them as a set and not have to worry about when the next one will start leaking DE. Trouble free means not having to take that cluster apart more than you need to.
I can fit a couple of fingers in the holes so probably too big to use pvc glue. So its sounding like no one uses replacement fabric and I need to replace all the grids.

Anyone know which are the right replacement grids? I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/Unicel-FS-2005-Replacement-American-Hayward/dp/B0014GB44K/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2XXHRGBG28NYJ&keywords=purex+triton+fns+plus+60+sq+ft+de&qid=1650645406&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=purex+triton+fns+plus+60+sq+ft+de,sporting,70&sr=1-6-catcorr&th=1
These pleatco ones have an old version for 180 and a new version for $300. No idea what the difference is?

There are cheaper options but based on comments they didnt seem to support my purex triton fnsplus 60 DE filter.

Last edited:
Your Triton is now a Pentair. For the most part, all of the brands of DE filters using the type of cluster you have use the same grids. They are interchangeable. Get a name brand, like you have listed. In my area Unicel is predominate and work well.

If you have never taken your cluster apart, be sure to watch some videos on it and pay close attention to where the partial grid goes in the cluster. If it is in the wrong spot the cluster may go back together (not easily) but will never go back into the tank. Don't force the assembly back together and be prepared for a bit of frustration until the grids and separator (bottom portion of the cluster) all fall into place. Don't over-tighten the through-bolts that hold the assembly together, you will crack the manifold in use. Basically, hand tight plus maybe a quarter turn, especially on an older piece of plastic. If it is already cracked, CMP makes an excellent replacement at much less cost. Replace it while you're in there.

I like to set the manifold upside-down on a 5 gallon bucket so the working height is easier on the back. Don't lose the air-relief screen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.