Replace entire multiport valve or just spider gasket and spring?

cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
So, last summer the white plastic o-ring under the multiport valve handle was dry rotted and broke off. I had what looked to be a working multiport valve laying beside my pool pump from the previous owner, so I put it on my sand filter only to find out the spring beneath the handle must have been worn out because the handle moved very easily between settings and was very easy to push. I could move it very easily between filter and backwash. This made me believe that even though the handle was in the filter position the insides of the filter might very well be in the backwash position. This is when I started losing water to the tune of about 2 inches per hour, maybe even more. It doesn't leak at all when the pump is not running. So my question is should I replace the entire valve or just try to make do with a new spring and new spider gasket?

If it is on backwash when the handle says it's on filter, do I need to do anything special when replacing the valve? Like do I need to pay attention and install it in a certain position, or will the position I install the new valve in become the right position? Does that make sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.