Replace Anchor Industries mesh safety cover

ald7973

May 19, 2020
Prairie Village, KS
Hi all! First season closing up the pool and the house came with an ancient (1998) Anchor Industries mesh safety cover. It's super funky and has probably a dozen tennis ball sized holes so we need to replace. Cover is for 40x20 with 4x8 center steps. Anchors are 3' off the edge of the pool and are 4 1/2' apart. Any recommendations for off-the-shelf replacements? Of course would prefer not to need a custom solution, but it's been challenging to figure out what off the shelf models will work. Pool companies just want to send someone out to measure and provide a custom cover. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Your findings are not surprising. Buying a cover to fit a set of anchors already installed (assuming you plan to use them and not add any new ones as needed) would seem fairly easy in concept but perhaps hard in practice. You have some play either way, from optimal (from pool to edge of cover). Say 3"? Then you have the linear anchor spacing. Unless you are within several inches from the new cover's straps, you will be pulling at a good angle by the end of the pool (assuming you line up one at the center with the anchors. So you'll you'll need the exact mapping of the new cover size and strap placement, match it up against your dimensions, then determine if you are outside of your acceptable tolerances, as you determine them. If a cover company wants to sell you a stock cover, they should be able provide that information.

You can see the value that the pool company brings to the table. You pay for custom, or you put in the leg work.

Your findings are not surprising. Buying a cover to fit a set of anchors already installed (assuming you plan to use them and not add any new ones as needed) would seem fairly easy in concept but perhaps hard in practice. You have some play either way, from optimal (from pool to edge of cover). Say 3"? Then you have the linear anchor spacing. Unless you are within several inches from the new cover's straps, you will be pulling at a good angle by the end of the pool (assuming you line up one at the center with the anchors. So you'll you'll need the exact mapping of the new cover size and strap placement, match it up against your dimensions, then determine if you are outside of your acceptable tolerances, as you determine them. If a cover company wants to sell you a stock cover, they should be able provide that information.

You can see the value that the pool company brings to the table. You pay for custom, or you put in the leg work.
Thanks - very helpful even to just validate that this isn't easy! Will be taking very detailed measurements and laying things out on paper like you suggest.

Reactions: bmoreswim
I have this cover I have and have been happy with it.

The price is nowhere near what I paid for it back in 2016 but I would buy it again based on my experience with it.

I just measured and my anchor points are approx 66" apart on the long side and there are 9 of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ald7973
Anchor should have your cover on file. Contact them to see if they can give you the same cover.

Alternatively, you can "A-B" measure the pool and anchors and then send the measurements to the manufacturers. They will refer you to a few local suppliers for quotes.

For AB, you set up two reference points and then mark and number points on the pool. For each point on the pool, you measure from A to the point and from B to the point. You also number the anchors and measure from each anchor point to A and to B.

The manufacturer will use the measurements and triangulation to sketch out the pool and anchors.

Your AB line should not cross over the anchors.

Reactions: ald7973
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.