Replace AGP top rail with deck board rather than going over?

Titus

Jun 3, 2010
Nevada, TX
While thinking about deck designs, it occurred to me that you may be able to replace the top rail with deck board to create a seamless transition rather than going over it. A quick peak at my doughboy top rails show that they don't seem to provide any more structural support than a mounted deck board would, and a search of the internet turned up the picture below. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone think of a reason why this would be a bad idea?
f06609b13167.png

Re: Replace AGP top rail with deck board rather than going o

We are in the same predicament. I want the deck to go over our semi-buried pool because I don't want anyone stepping on the rail (You can remind kids a million times, but someone is bound to forget and then something gets bent) Has anyone just built the deck above the top railing? My husband's main concern is that our pool is buried except for about 15" on one and maybe 9-10 " on the far side. The backfilled circle is about 1 and 1/2 feet around the pool. It has been backfilled for about 3 weeks now, but he is worried about putting the deck foundation on the freshly backfilled area. We live in Florida, and the ground is the type of dirt that gets pretty hard after is has been saturated and then dried, but it isn't concrete for sure. Any thoughts?

We had a small deck built for our pool 6 years ago. We opted to have the edge of the deck sit just above the top 2 rails , so if a child wanted to jump into the pool, it would be a "clean" edge from deck to water. This past weekend we tore the old pool down, left the deck, and put the new same size pool up in the same location. Well, same size except 4" taller! We ended up having to jack the deck up 8" in order to get the new pool top rails to sit under the deck the way the old pool did.

I'll post some pics tomorrow!

That's a pretty good idea although I would agree it would probably void the warranty. I've heard few warranties are honored due to homeowners getting creative with alterations. Also your going to be putting alot of stress on the side of the pool I would think with people stepping on them. Anyway I am currently designing a deck for our new above ground 24ft round. I am considering running my deck up over the top rails of the pool to keep feet off the top rails and just leave a gap for the cover. Most of the pools I've looked at folks run the deck boards under the top rails and I can't figure out why. My top rails are resin but being realistic..years of people stepping on them and they are bound to crack and of course by that time they will be difficult to replace with a matching product. Anyone's insight would be appreciated.

We put ours under the rails. Word of caution: be sure to leave ample room for ground heave. We only had heave in one small section, but it definitely pushed up and now the boards in that area are flush, with no room to give.

As for stepping on the rails, we issue one warning and then they're out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I am thinking of replacing the resin top rail(s) with deck board. I would design the deck so the new deck rail does not have to take much weight: The deck would not rest on the pool except the one deck board. As the deck board has less flex than resin, it seems it would be stronger and better able to take normal standing and jumping forces.

I don't like a deck that comes to the bottom of the rail because the rail looks like a trip hazard.
A deck that goes over the rail puts the deck a long way away from the water. (I usually don't use a ladder, just jump or lift myself out.)
A deck level with the rail would be OK, but my rails are not flat, so there are pinch points and trip hazards.

I plan to use the resin rail as a hole template.

Can someone post pictures of the top rail replacement they completed using deck boards (composite would be my choice). I cannot view the picture Titus posted. It sure seems to be the way to go and I agree it should be much sturdier than the resin top cap. I then plan to bring the deck itself level with the deck board top rail thinking it will look as if they are all part of the deck. Anyone with suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I have a Sharkline 12X24 pool with aluminum sides that I placed in the ground 3' on one 24' side down to 1' on the other 24' side. I plan on using a 13:1 mix of sand to cement backfill as recommended by Doughboy and would like some input so I might direct my contractor on what I want to do. Thanks

Pfeazel

pfeazel,
I have replaced the resin top rail with 2X6 treated pine and like the results. I will post some photos when I get a chance. I have not completed the whole deck, but so far I am happy with the results.

Since composite decking is usually 1 inch thick, I think it would look and 'feel' even better than treated wood.
The resin top rail extends below the top of the side wall. The wood does not. It only sits on top, so some of the side wall bracket is exposed.

I did find that the pool does not have nice, consistent angles (or straights), so each piece has to be cut to fit. It takes a while to do, but it does look great.

I found that the manufacturer of my pool ladder (Confer) makes a conversion kit to go from over the wall, A-frame type ladder to one that mounts to the deck. Saved buying a whole new ladder. Don't have it installed yet, so not sure how well it works.

I built my high deck just under the top seat. Here is a side shot to give you an idea of how much room there is, I have built a section for the kids to jump off of that goes over the top seat. I don't have photos of that right now.

IMG_5155.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.