Repairing pool coping

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
We have a 15x30 vinyl inground pool with metal coping. The coping is rusting and we just started to fix some of it. To fix it, I've removed as much of the rust as I can, prime it with rust converter, and painting over with an oil based paint. This was supposed to all be done when we were installing our new liner this Summer, but long story short, it wasn't. Therefore we're stuck doing it now.

There is a lot of rusting around the skimmer. When the liner was installed, they didn't really attempt to even get the liner in the track near the skimmer. As seen in the picture below.
20190927_170421.jpg
I began to remove some of the rust so that I can add the rust converter. It immediately began to crumble. Now there is a large gap in the liner track because the rust is gone and the liner is below the track anyways. Should I attempt to fill this with anything before I paint? I was thinking of maybe adding pool putty, or perhaps a backing rod and adding a paintable caulk?
20191007_165219.jpg
Thanks!

Pool putty, foam, and caulk will hold moisture in that area and lead to rusting, mildew, or algae in the area. I don’t think you can keep water from getting behind any patch you do.

I would rather not cover it and be able to keep an eye on what develops there rather then burying it.

Reactions: Esand323
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.